Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2005, 07:00 PM

Default Things you should know about Irieguy

We all know that Irieguy is a top poker player; that he is witty, bright, and is blessed with a unique sense of humor. But Irieguy means much more to me. We've just completed a 500 'Sit and go' coaching agreement, and I would like to share my experience with you.

For the past seven years I have been playing backgammon. Due to the 'poker invasion' (as we call it), backgammon action has decreased dramatically. A lot of my friends switched to poker, and according to scouting reports, the games were not only abundant, but also much easier (compared to backgammon). Thus, I decided to put away my dice for a while and to try out virtual cards instead.

I read a few poker books, listened to some good advice, and watched on line games. Then, I finally sat down to play, trying out different poker versions in search for my best game: Limit / No Limit Hold-em ring games, seven card stud, multi table and single table tournaments…you name it. Within a week it was clear that 'Sit and go' poker was my favorite game, and that it might be the only game where I was a favorite to win.

After playing a few hundred SNG's, I was winning a little bit, but didn’t really know what I was doing. Most of the time, I was just guessing. I am not the type of person that likes to ask for help, but this time I had to. Irieguy's posts convinced me he would be the best teacher I could ever ask for, so I sent him a private message. A few days later we had a long conversation on the phone, and struck a 500 SNG deal. I was surprised he trusted me to pay him: "How do you know I won't stiff you after you teach me how to play?" I asked. "I trust you" was his short reply. "This should be a special person" I said to myself. Different than almost every 'gambler' I have met so far.

I emailed Irie over a dozen SNG's for evaluation. Within a few days he sent me a detailed report, including a complete analysis of my game: leaks, strengths, and weakness. Then, he gave me specific guidelines how to improve my game, as well as general SNG concepts, strategies, and tactics. Even though Irieguy had a piece of my winnings (free roll), he suggested that I practice these guidelines on the lower buy-in tables. I was the one pushing to play higher stakes.

I sent him questions, reports, and Hand history samples. Every time I received profound insights and practical suggestions, as well as more homework…My game improved much faster than I could ever imagine. For the first time, I started to feel good about my game. Improved results at the tables were a welcomed side affect…

Before we were half way through the deal, I offered Irieguy an improved agreement. Honestly, I felt I was ripping him off…"Be good to people who are good to you, or eventually karma will bite your ass", 'Mackthefork' wrote on a previous post. I wasn’t afraid of bad karma… I just felt it was the right thing to do. Irieguy responded with a long email (as usual), explaining why he thinks our deal was fair, and how SNG poker has high built in variance that I might not recognize yet.

Irieguy is also a very sensitive person, well aware of the emotional aspects of coaching. He always knew when to let me have it, and how to cheer me up when I was down.

I've read a lot of bad luck posts lately…I am happy to tell you how fortunate I am to have gained a good friend, not just a great teacher.

S.J.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Things you should know about Irieguy

good stuff. holla
Old 03-12-2005, 07:09 PM

Nice post, and very well written.

Irieguy's stock is already astronomical. Not that yours was low or anything, but it just took a big jump, IMHO.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:16 PM

Nice post!
Old 03-12-2005, 08:25 PM

Great post. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Irieguy, if you are reading this thread, consider a business idea (if you haven't already): there are probably more players out here -- like myself -- who do not want to be backed; however, such a player may be willing to pay some sort of a subscription fee to a web forum, for the poker version of a personal trainer.

Perhaps this concept is already hiding with the aces up your sleeve?
Old 03-12-2005, 08:34 PM

He's the Dude...or El Duderino, if your into long names [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2005, 08:35 PM

Thank you spentrent,

In case there were any doubts, this wasn't a backing deal.

Best of luck,

S.J.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's the Dude...or El Duderino, if your into long names [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-12-2005, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me explain something to you ... it's the Dude. So that's what you call him. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino <font color="red"> if you're not into the whole brevity thing. </font>

Yugoslav
Old 03-12-2005, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Skip,

[/ QUOTE ][ QUOTE ]
we

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
know you know how to quote a whole post.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought you were trying to figure out[ QUOTE ]
how to quote a partial post

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]