Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Roger Clemens

I just picked him in the 4th round of my fantasy draft and I thought it was a fantastic pick. However, a couple of the kids in the league said it was a bad pick because he might not try this season. I disagree with them and still think it to be a great pick, but would like to hear what others think. The guy put up fantasic numbers last year and I think he can repeat them.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Roger Clemens

Roger Clemens attitude towards the game will never allow him not to try. Good pick.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:07 PM

He's one of the most competitive people on the planet.

The kids in your league are wrong.

The only worry you will have is if he gets hurt during the season and then retires again.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:31 PM

Default One more question

I need to take a closer next round.
Left are: Guardado, BJ Ryan, Danny Kolb, Jose Mesa

Ryan was the best in terms of statistics last year, but I'm worried about his transition to closer. So, should it be Ryan or Guardado?
Old 03-09-2005, 02:55 PM

He might not have a good year, but it won't be for lack of trying. Despite his claims to only want to win a championship, he's at bottom a selfish guy and wants to put up good numbers. While Houston's offense, minus Beltran, might make it difficult for him to go 18-4 again, he's certainly going to try. I know he has 17 million reasons to come back (or whatever his salary is), but I think he's pitching, at least to some degree, for the sake of his lifetime record and he'll want the glossiest numbers possible.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: One more question

although you probably picked already, I hope you took Kolb.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:00 PM

. However, a couple of the kids in the league said it was a bad pick because he might not try this season

nice to know the stupidity factor is still a usefull tool in gauging EV.

how the fcuk can somebody think a elite professional athlete would just stop trying?
Old 03-09-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
. However, a couple of the kids in the league said it was a bad pick because he might not try this season

nice to know the stupidity factor is still a usefull tool in gauging EV.

how the fcuk can somebody think a elite professional athlete would just stop trying?

[/ QUOTE ]

See Henderson, Rickey. I do agree that it's pretty poor to say that of Roger Clemens.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:10 PM

Because radio sports-talk morons run rampant with many a misconception regarding the world that is american professional athletics.

Of course, Clemens did let himself put on weight and he certainly didn't see terribly competitive in his last years at BOS before Duquette traded him.

But to somehow think that he wouldn't bother trying this year for whatever reason still doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me...particularly for a guy who is obviously a fierce competitor.

Interestingly, I had a similar situation. I wasn't specifically going after Clemens....but when he was still around when it came to me (2nd or 3rd round, not sure...16 teams) there was no way I was going to pass it up.

Same thing happened in the 1st round. I picked 7th and nobody wanted Barry Bonds. I certainly didn't think I would want Barry Bonds either but the up-side was too huge to let the 8th or 9th team grab him.

So now I've got the aging Hall-of-famers....one of the best hitters EVER and one of the best pitchers EVER....albeit a little past their prime.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Re: One more question

Kolb got 40 k's in 70 IP last year. I didn't consider him a valid option. Ryan got 125. Ryan has better ERA and WHIP. It's just that I'm not sure about his transfer from setup man to closer. Guardado is a better option than Kolb and is proven.