Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Re: $22: missed push?

I push this everytime if I haven't been pushing but if you've just pushed two out of three, I'd say that's just enough to make this a fold. I've recently been noticing that their calling ranges don't loosen THAT much after repeated pushes but they do loosen just enough here I think. If you had just pushed once before I'd crank this for sure.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:29 PM

This is a fold in my book. I personally would never consider anything but folding. I also don't think it's close enough to debate about, but thats just me.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a fold in my book. I personally would never consider anything but folding. I also don't think it's close enough to debate about, but thats just me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that because of his recent pushing activity, or you're saying that you fold this everytime in a vacuum and it's not close?
Old 09-20-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
would you push 72 here? because its not much different.

[/ QUOTE ]

67s is MUCH, MUCH different than 72o. I have legitimate suckout chances if I run into a hand.

I pass on pushing in some spots when others say that pushing is correct. But I'm more likely to push in spots like this, where I'm trying to seperate myself from the pack. If I fold here, I'm not desperate by any means, but after taking the blinds again, I would be ~5 BB. I have very good FE if I push here, regardless of my table image, due to the stack sizes.

27o vs. AKo: 32-68
67s vs. AKo: 42-58

My winning chances are 10 real percentage points higher with 67s than with 27o. Winning 42% of the time is actually 31% more than winning 32% of the time. A very significant difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, I didnt mean for my example to be taken quite so literally (my bad though...shouldnt have used it). My point is, of hands that are calling you here at this blind level, you MIGHT AS WELL be pushing any two against that range. Keep in mind the blinds are only 150 and calling ranges are going to consist of mostly over pairs...where you are way behind. You AK example is poor bc it is only one of two unpaired hands that calls you here...maybe three.

My assertion is all about the blind level here, not the cards so much. That said, i dont think there is really much debate that this is actually a pretty neutral situation. You are not going to get called as often as you would at higher blinds, but when you do, you will win-suckout less often. To reduce variance, I might sit this one out though.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:13 PM

I'm a freakin' maniac. But if, like you said, you actually pushed 2 of 3 last hands, then I fold this because I would expect to be called by K high, or J high who "fainlly caught you."
Old 09-20-2005, 06:43 PM

We have almost 9x the BB on the button. Okay I remember doing some studies that against tightish types of players it made sense to move allin on the button with like 7-8x times the BB. However there are a lot of insane people who will make very loose calls, this is a one off the bubble situation that means you should usually be slightly tighter in such situations and there will be better spots in the future for a good player.

Basically I hate pushing.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:46 PM

btw I've done the math...against the following calling range:

66+,ATs+,AJo+

its +.5% in EV. This is a reasonable calling range, however many pepole will be somewhat looser.

Against the following range:

44+,A7s+,A9o+,KJs+

Its -.1% EV to push. Now I don't know how many people will follow the above range, but I suspect that you will see the occasional call from A6s and such. In all, you are pushing a very thin edge that depends on knowing your opponents tendencies very specifically. Meanwhile you have enough chips to expect a better spot in the future.