Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-02-2005, 02:09 AM

Default Evaluate a noob\'s Investopedia portfolio and ideas please?

OK I've been trying to learn some about investing. I hope to get into the market with real money at some point but want to be prudnet about how I do that.

I've read "random walk", motley fool basics, know about the PEG, and have read some other stuff online, stingy investor blog (big graham fan)--I have Intelligent Investor and Common stocks-uncommon profits but haven't read either yet.

I used a combination of the PEG stat, and some info from the stingy investor blog to put together my screen and came up with the following stuff to put in to my Investopedia profile back in May.

I'm sure I'm as big of a fish in this area as I was when I first started poker but was curious as to any feedback on the minimal stuff I have been doing so far. So far mostly its just buy and hold with a couple more buys when things looked even more favorable than they initially had. I also got a littel confused by Investopedia's "cash" and "buying power" numbers so apparently some of this is technically on margin or something?

A knowledgeable friend had said this looked pretty heavy industry heavy however, my screen just didn't yield very many stocks so this is what I came up with. Does it look totally unbalanced. Reading Random Walk taught me a lot so if I were to think about doign anything with real money it would first be wilshire 5000 TMI or somethign like that for a while. My initial thought at htis point is that I'd want to stay may 50% index and max out at 50% individual stocks.

Any pointers or advice for me? What do you think of my results so far--am I just a lucky fish or is this the kind of stuff that can be done regularly--obviously I got lucky with the Reebok--Adidas merger but the rest seems like it is jsut the individual companies chugging along--am I missing something?