Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Pokerstars shuffle sources

[ QUOTE ]
If there was ever a way for us to take into account every single thing that would influence these measurements, we could predict the outcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's true. But then the measurement wouldn't anymore be random. The definition of the word includes the uncertainty.

I guess a more important point is that no algorithm is capable of producing truly random numbers.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:23 PM

Default Re: Pokerstars shuffle sources

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, that's true. But then the measurement wouldn't anymore be random. The definition of the word includes the uncertainty.

I guess a more important point is that no algorithm is capable of producing truly random numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

No algorithm, or anything!

Anyway, I think you are missing the point here. Just because you don't know the measurements doesn't mean it's random.

Let me steal some stuff from Wikipedia (I love it!):

[ QUOTE ]
The word random is used to express apparent lack of purpose or cause. ... Note that the bias that "everything has a purpose or cause" is actually implicit in the expression "apparent lack of purpose or cause".

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the top link on the bottom of that Wikipedia article. It's kind of neat.

Also, here's a definition given by a link I found in Random.org (the source you provided) (link):

[ QUOTE ]
A chaotic source is a physical system that is dominated by chaos. A small change in the physical system now, will increasingly impact future conditions within the physical system over time. The impact of a small change compounds over time in such a way that correlating between the disturbed state and future conditions becomes intractable.

[/ QUOTE ]

As according to this source, "a digital snapshot of a physical chaotic process is obtained" to use as a seed for the random number. But as according to the definition above, any "digital snapshot" is directly influence by previous states of that source.

Also, here's a link to Wikipedia's article on determinism, because that is important too.