Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2001, 03:45 PM

Default Jon: But it could be you or me!

Jon posted the following on the other topics forum. I believe that it is such an important post that it should get maximum exposure. I would like a response from all that view it here. the least I would like to know is if each of you that read it have experienced something similar since beginning to play poker. I have.:

"Well, I thought I was ready. I built my bankroll up to $1400 and took my second shot at the Taj 10-20 game.........and was absolutely destroyed. I played well until I lost some big hands and tilted my money away. I love this game, I don't know if that's wrong or right, but it's true. I have a good feel for the game, and know I can be great if I can just keep my bearings, but I can't. My friends and family hate it, and I'm starting to think it's time to give it up. I have spent years being sooo passionate about this game, thinking about it and playing it all the time, that I don't know what I would do with myself without it. What do I think about? What do I do with my free time? Can I go back to just playing it lightly for recreation? The money may have been "set aside" for cards, but it is still an immense amount of cash; maybe this is the best thing that ever happened to me. 3-6 a few times a year may be a solid change from 5-10 and 10-20 3 times a month. At the same time, I don't want to lose the passion I have for this game. What do I do?

Jon"

The reason I believe that this is such an important post centers around Jon's phrase: "...was absolutley destroyed". I've been there. I've felt that way. ABSOLUTELY DESTROYED. Listen: "I have spent years being sooo passionate about this game, thinking about it and playing it all the time, that I don't know what I would do with myself without it. What do I think about? What do I do with my free time? " Jon's says this. Well I've ben there. I've felt EXACTLY the same way, exactly. I've thought exactly the same thoughts' "I have spebt years..." Yes, I have. That's why I told Jon that he is not alone. Many of you that have been posting on twoplustow for a while may remeber Andras Nagy. Andras, from his own words, literally got destroyed while playing poker. He took it so personally, losing that is, that he quit. he quit a number of times but then he quit. He told us he quit and that has been well over a year ago so whether he has quit poker or not I can't say for sure but he has quit posting here and I believe he quit poker also.

I quit when I was destroyed. I was besides myself many many times. I did not know what to do with my free time. I lost a lot of money a few times in the past. I quit. but I had a job back then so I always managed o scrape together enough now and then for a session stake. I don't get "absolutely destroyed" anymore. Not that I don't have big losing sessions but I am better able to deal with them now. My answer is simple: experience. I can offer Jon only a little bit of advice. Do not play with scared money. If you cannot afford to lose the money you are playing with don't play. Wait until you have "not necessary to live on or for my psychological well being money" and then play. Eventually you will learn to deal with the downs. Just remeber that the downs are only one third of the proble. you must also learn to deal with the "ups" and the "break evens". Both of these can also affect your mental well being. Learn to deal with the mental game. Poker is 90% mental, either through knowledge or self discipline. Both of these are enhanced through practice and expereince.

O.K. I'm done right now. I will wait to hear from others. Please give it up.

vince