Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2003, 11:29 AM

Default Re: It\'s a wash

I know of some poker players who try to follow mucked cards through the shuffle at least to get a general idea, eg, whether those Aces might wind up toward the top of the deck.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Card Patterns in Online Poker

'Yes...I think "wash" is the proper term for that, but I'm sure there are dealers here who can correct that if I'm wrong.'

In LA County CA: a wash is always called a "scramble." Has been for the last 20 years.

Old 10-01-2003, 01:02 PM

I am posting this before reading any of the other responses. Personally, I have been noticing this myself. It could just be paranoia. But it does seem to me that I get the same cards twice in a row more often on the net. And it seems more frequent that the last winning hand often appears as the next flop.

Most likely it's just coincidence. There is a big difference between "feeling" there is a pattern and actually documenting it with hard evidence.

Old 10-01-2003, 01:32 PM

Random comments on computer program random number generators:

In the computer programmer world, so-called generated random numbers are commonly called pseudo random numbers (I think we can all understand why -- nothing is perfect). Pseudo random number generators generally might have a cycle duration which at some point they start over again and repeat the same numbers. There are also quasirandom number generators but these are probably not currently in use.

At this point in time, there are superb “high quality” computer pseudo random number generators available which have very long cycle durations and produce excellent random numbers. Various tests are applied to these generators to assure that there are essentially no holes or voids in the system greater than the expected statistical deviations.

Initiation seed:

A seed number is usually used to start a chain of random numbers. It could be the time of day and date. If this seed is recorded – then the chain can be replicated for a particular situation. For instance, every deal at online poker sites has a deal number. The last seven digits for a particular deal could then be used as a seed for the next deal. This suggests that the deal sequence of cards could be repeated every ten million hands – who knows. There are numerous techniques for adding additional degrees-of-freedom into a pseudo random number generator program which will then produce even more random output.

Online Poker Management:

Poker management always tries to make higher profit. Hopefully management is honest. If the site has honest management and business is good – then players probably don’t have to be over concerned about the random number generators. Competition is very tough in the Online Poker World. When push becomes shoving, and sites can’t pay their bills and salaries, then there is a good chance that the players will lose their account money in those sites. In the past, this happened at some B&M poker clubs in California, at some point during the day, the chips became immediately worthless – the cage closed and lots of chip holders were out of luck.

Just look at the business decline at some online poker sites, and current success of the online poker site leader(s). Will there be more shakeouts? Probably. Also it is a piece of cake to cheat on the Internet. Either we are honest or we are not honest – it’s that simple. There is probably no penalty for cheating other then temporary barring the cheaters. I don’t think there is any legal way to administer justice to the cheaters.

Amway Business Techniques:

In the past, Amway Products used a pyramid system to reward it salespersons. Maybe they still do – I will never buy Amway products because of that. From what I have read on Two-Plus-Two, I think some of the poker sites are using techniques similar to Amway to lure customers. It will be interesting to see what happens to these and other Internet Pokers Sites in the future.

Old 10-01-2003, 01:44 PM

Poster: squiffy
Subject: Re: Card Patterns in Online Poker
" Most likely it's just coincidence. There is a big difference between "feeling" there is a pattern and actually documenting it with hard evidence."

Squiffy,

Maybe you can print them out if you have a printer connected to your computer and try to check things more closely. At one time (maybe still), Paradise Poker had an excellent way to print the history for a poker deals. PartyPoker also lets the player print hand histories, but they don't think they give as much information as Paradise did.

Old 10-06-2003, 05:30 AM

Thanks, Wake Up Call, those are good links.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in statistical tests of the randomness of physical shuffles when only "riffle shuffles" (or whatever the proper name is) are used there is an optimum number of shuffles, any more or less and the distributions become less random.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you shuffle more than the optimum number, the deck won't become less random. (Isn't that the law of entropy?)