Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-2004, 09:51 AM

Default Playing Trash Early

My strategy early in a sng is to play solid poker. In some reading I've done recently, it is suggested to play as many hands as possible when the money is very deep. At the site I play at you start with t1500 10/20 blinds, lvl 2 is 15/30. Should I loosen up and try to get involved in more pots when the implied odds are so big. Almost every game I play I see 2 or 3 people busting out early calling big bets with top pair weak kicker, and sometimes less than that. I don't mind playing suited connectors, small pairs, but what about real trash like 4-7 off? If its only 20 or 30 to get in and you can possibly double up with a straight or two pair is it worth it? BTW, the author is very wary of danger hands like KJ, AT... But doesn't mind limping or min raising(if first one in) with trash. Part of this strategy is that when your opponents seeing you showing down trash, especially after raising, you will get a lot of action on your big hands. Not sure this would have much of an effect at the 10 +1's that I play, as opponents really don't pay much attention. You can not play a hand for 30 minutes and still get action when you do hit.

So is it worth it to waste t300 out of t1500 playing trash early in an effort to put yourself in a good chip position?