Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2004, 10:16 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Players Who Report Your Chat Online

Hey everyone!

Alright, so I like to laugh it up at the online tables and chat a pretty decent amount.

I've got a picture of "cheeky chappy" from the cancelled show "Banzai!" that was on Fox and then moved to Comedy Central (i.e. an asian stereotype businessman picture with him smiling and stroking his chin)

Alright, so if someone wins a big hand I'll usually type:

"That hand you were big weina"
"And to be big weina is hard"
"That make you BIG HARD WEINA!"
"raugh raugh raugh"

Some people enjoy this, and others are so friggin' uptight they freak out at my "ror, raugh out roud" and my "remember, Confuscious say, man who go to bed with itchy bum wake up with stinky finga!"

And of course other idocies like "how you get slow rucky?" and "velly rice" and "rucky liver" and all that.

Am I way out of line? I mean, people have the option of blocking my chat, I don't see why people are so overly sensitive to not realize I'm just fooling around and they need to whine like babies and report my chat to try and get me revoked.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Players Who Report Your Chat Online

It doesn't matter if it is a TV show or if you are only joking. If you make jokes involving racial stereotypes in a public setting, people are going to get offended. That's just how it is.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:41 AM

I could do without it
Old 11-10-2004, 10:47 AM

It's got to do with society in general as we are in the era of political correctness. Can't say for sure whether it's entirely a good or bad thing.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:48 AM

Go 4 it dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 11-10-2004, 10:55 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

Yeah, see, I don't get into that whole political correctness stuff. I grew up with a Catholic father and a Jewish mother, and man did I catch a lot of heat for the Jewish heritage.

I went the Atheist/Agnostic route, but I make fun of everyone equally. And I'm only 5'1" tall (short) so I get plenty of the "look, it's mini-me!" jokes tossed my way. But I take it all in stride. If you cannot laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at?

And if you don't like what I'm saying, just block my chat. Why the need to run and cry about it, ya know? I have friends of a variety of races and colors, and I'll bust them and they'll bust me. It's not meant to offend in any way.

Oh yeah, and by the way "hope you get velly rucky with big frush frop!" and "ruv you wrong time mista rady mans!" raughity-raughity-raugh!
Old 11-10-2004, 11:02 AM

The reason that they don't just block your chat is because they consider it to be offensive racial slurs, which pisses them off.

It's like complaining that you get reported for being verbally abusive, spamming, or making threatening statements. In all of those cases, people could just block your chat, but why bother when they can just report the [censored] (in their opinion).

If you don't want to reported anymore, just shut up. Nothing is gained by it.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason that they don't just block your chat is because they consider it to be offensive racial slurs, which pisses them off.

It's like complaining that you get reported for being verbally abusive, spamming, or making threatening statements. In all of those cases, people could just block your chat, but why bother when they can just report the [censored] (in their opinion).

If you don't want to reported anymore, just shut up. Nothing is gained by it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I'm speaking broken "en-ga-resh", so what? I'm not out calling people slant-eyes or sand (censored), etc. And that's not my style. I think I'm being midly amusing and people who are offended by "velly rice" are WAY too unhinged and stuck up in my opinion.

Then again, I'm pretty de-sensitized to things, so I don't really get offended easily. I guess I just have a different outlook on things.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:17 AM

I agree, to an extent, that the whole PC thing is a step or three over the top, but what must be understood is the essential difference between making fun of yourself and busting each other among friends on the one hand, and mocking, parodying, or whatever, those you don't know. You can do this and get away with it if you're willing to do stand up comedy at a club. Why do things you know for a fact are offensive ? Seems pretty clear to me that your questions alone establish that you know the offensive nature of your attempts at humor. All that Catholic/Jewish/short stuff is just bogus rationalization.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:23 AM

The thing is that it doesn't really matter what you think. What matters is what the rest of the society thinks. The fact that you don't think people should get offended really doesn't mean a thing.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be offended by any of it (but I would just be annoyed if you kept beating the joke to death). However, I do understand why some people would be offended by it.

Just don't pretend that you are only speaking in broken english, you are clearing mocking a stereotype (the same as that Spike show does). That will piss people, period. If you can't accept that, move to the north pole.