Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2004, 08:24 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: To Citanul

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

FACT: Many asians have problems speaking english with certain letters not working correctly for them. Does this mean that ALL asian people fall into this category? No, but it still has relevance in their population.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are mocking their handicap, that has nothing to do with a stereotype. They have a problem speaking english correctly.

What you are doing is the same as putting a picture of somebody with half their fingers missing and then saying everytime you miss a draw, where is the rest of my hand.

Either way, you really aren't funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

So then I guess all comedians should stop jokes about the Irish and drinking, because their drinking problem is a handicap and we wouldn't want to offend anyone, right?

Sorry man, but the differences between everyone has always been used for comedic purposes. It doesn't mean people hate someone because they poke fun. Usually they like you more if they poke fun.

I guess because Super Mario Brothers portrays Mario & Luigi as shot Italian guys I should be upset because it's a handicap that a lot of Italians are short?

Again, I'm not out there calling someone a chink or something, cause I don't feel that way. I'm not using terminology that is saying any group is beneath another. I'm poking fun at the differences in life and people. That does not immediately equal racism and hatred.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:39 PM

To grandgnu:

Hey dipshit, your mom's a whore.

Thanks.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:07 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]
To grandgnu:

Hey dipshit, your mom's a whore.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, the guys that picked her just had REAL bad taste. Thanks!
Old 11-12-2004, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Players Who Report Your Chat Online

Instead of "waiting to do it again" you might want to consider not doing it again. You are the kind of person that smokes after being asked not to smoke, just because you enjoy it.

I don't even think it's racist. It's just unfunny and very likely to offend someone playing at the table, which is bad for every other player at your table. If you can't create a good mood at the table without offending some people, don't bother trying.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:31 PM

Hey bro,

Up to your old tricks again I see.

You really should stop abusing the peeps and find a more fulfilling way to release all that pend up energy you have. Why would you post something like this:

[ QUOTE ]

Some people enjoy this, and others are so friggin' uptight they freak out at my "ror, raugh out roud" and my "remember, Confuscious say, man who go to bed with itchy bum wake up with stinky finga!"

Am I way out of line?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you (as usual) had no intention of listening to what the people had to say.

You might have considered posting something to the effect of, " If anyone thinks this is out of line, be prepared for a repetitious argument from my side, with no chance of me listening to, thinking about, and/or possibly changing my mind, based on anything that you had to say".

This probably would have been more fair to the peoples on this forum.

Seriously, you need to get help. I want you to see that Docter that Jeff told you about. Apparently he has had great success with cases such as yours.

Oh and dinner at Moms on Sunday is at 4pm not 5pm as she has to get here hair done or something.

luv yah bro
grandgnu2

Oh and she wanted me to remind you to please take your medication before you come over to the house this time.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:02 PM

Default Re: To Liz L

Is the person with the lower IQ wrong because someone with a higher IQ believes something different and must be correct because of their IQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

So if this is an analogy to your situation (otherwise what is your point?) then you are admitting that you have a low IQ? It is refreshing for someone like you to just come right out and own up to it.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:08 PM

Default Re: To PoorLawyer

check next post
Old 11-12-2004, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
g,

i find it very interesting that towards the end of this thread you have made a statement that "of course i wouldn't walk up to an asian person and make these jokes, when i'm out of character, they wouldn't make sense." you have also repeatedly argued that since various stereotypes are used in the media they are ok to be used in private. additionally, you have repeatedly said that you do not believe that reinforcing and repeating negative and 'funny' stereotypes is a racist action.

i think that many people *do* protest and complain about racial stereotyping and mimicking in the media. particularly, i would assume, asian american people or just asian people would be insulted and complain about negative stereotypes of broken english, etc, used in tv and in movies. they don't care that they are seeing it in the media, they care that they are offended by it.

they are offended by it because the nature of that form of "humor" is to make a person or group of people feel inferior or strange because they do something differently than the normal way. thus, they really wouldn't care if you were "in character" or not, because they find the character itself derogatory and offensive. you should not joke in such a manner simply because you are hidden behind a computer screen, since, well, there might be an asian person on the other side, who you wouldn't joke in the same fashion to their face.

so, to recap: the reason stereotypes are racist is because they demean and devalue people of the targetted race. the definition of offensive is "something that offends a person," so if people are offended enough to complain about it, that means it was clearly offensive to them. people are allowed to complain to the site to have your chat blocked because it is in the terms of service.

anyway, there's pages more to expound on what incredibly poor taste and behavior you have displayed, but it's really damn late, so i'm just going to go to sleep. i think that if you read this you should take SPECIAL NOTE of the fact that when asked why you wouldn't do this stuff in a real life situationn you specified that you wouldn't say such things to an asian person, not that you wouldn't say them at all. i find this very telling. is it your belief that clearly everyone else would immediately "get" your joke and think it hilarious, and that the asian people would just not be getting your joke?

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, I would say it to an asian person, I HAVE said this stuff to asian people. But these are people I know.

I understand the whole complaint about doing it with strangers online where you're anonymous instead of in-person face to face.

The thing is, look at it this way: If someone uses a picture of an Italian mobster on PokerStars, and then plays that character and says "bada boom, bada bing!" or "fugghedaboudit!" would this be "offensive" to Italians? I am 25% Italian. Should I go running to support because I feel that this person believes that ALL Italians are mobsters?

Should I sue the Prince company because Wednesdays are Prince Spaghetti days and my name is Anthony so all I ever heard was "Anthaaanneeeey!" all the time from people on Wednesdays? Is the spaghetti company being "racist" because they're implying that Italians eat Pasta!?!? Oh my goodness!

FACT: Many Italians eat pasta. Italians have also been linked with mob activities. Does this apply to all of them? No, but it's still something that is attributed with Italians

FACT: Many asians have problems speaking english with certain letters not working correctly for them. Does this mean that ALL asian people fall into this category? No, but it still has relevance in their population.

Would you say that the Italian stereotypes are more or less acceptable than the Asian ones, or both are the same in being unacceptable? And if there is a difference between the two, what is it? why would it be ok to make the Italian comments but not the asian ones?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure it would be offensive to some italians, and they would be in the right to complain.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:09 PM

Default Re: To PoorLawyer

[ QUOTE ]
your friends know that you are joking and are not being racist. It does not come across that way in public to strangers. Nice try though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you are naive, then it comes across as jokes. Not all strangers think he comes across as a racist.
Now whether or not his jokes are actually funny is highly debatable.

[ QUOTE ]

So then the problem is peoples misinterpretation of my
intentions, not my actual actions.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's perfect. What you are saying is that it's their problem if they misinterprate you? Well I agree.

Verdict pending....

[ QUOTE ]
ok everyone be still and quiet. We may be having a breakthrough here and I don't want to break his concentration.

[/ QUOTE ]

Case dismissed.

outs
Old 11-12-2004, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey bro,

Up to your old tricks again I see.

You really should stop abusing the peeps and find a more fulfilling way to release all that pend up energy you have. Why would you post something like this:

[ QUOTE ]

Some people enjoy this, and others are so friggin' uptight they freak out at my "ror, raugh out roud" and my "remember, Confuscious say, man who go to bed with itchy bum wake up with stinky finga!"

Am I way out of line?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you (as usual) had no intention of listening to what the people had to say.

You might have considered posting something to the effect of, " If anyone thinks this is out of line, be prepared for a repetitious argument from my side, with no chance of me listening to, thinking about, and/or possibly changing my mind, based on anything that you had to say".

This probably would have been more fair to the peoples on this forum.

Seriously, you need to get help. I want you to see that Docter that Jeff told you about. Apparently he has had great success with cases such as yours.

Oh and dinner at Moms on Sunday is at 4pm not 5pm as she has to get here hair done or something.

luv yah bro
grandgnu2

Oh and she wanted me to remind you to please take your medication before you come over to the house this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Woah, my alter-ego from Bizzaro world has just landed!

I feel I have listened to what they have to say. I just don't agree with it, and because I don't agree with someones view point I MUST not be listening to it, right? And I MUST have a low IQ. And I MUST be a racist, because Patient77 or PoorLawyer have the final say when it comes to these matters and only their view could possibly be correct (despite the fact that numerous people in this thread have agreed with me, and others have agreed with them)

It's similar to the Bush vs. Kerry camps, everyone has their own points of views and what is alright for one person isn't alright for someone else. This doesn't make it bad for the person who is ok with it, it's all about viewpoints and the whole eye-of-the-beholder thing.

But if we were to stop and censor something everytime someone didn't like it, then there would be NO comedy.

Again, if I was out there using racist terminology like spics and gooks and niggers THAT would be a hurtful message toward those groups. If someone used the term Wop that would be derogatory towards Italians. But to say "fuggedaboudit!" or "bada boom bada bing" is not derogatory, it is merely an imitation of the Italians. And the same applies to my imitation of the asian guy from "Banzai!"

I find it endearing that they speak that way, and I also enjoy hearing the Italian speak, and the way English people speak or whatever.

I could just as easily have used Austin Powers in my picture and been running around asking people if I make them horny or randy and talking about my bad teeth, but wouldn't want to offend any Brits, cause we all know they're all a bunch o' soccer hooligans!