Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2004, 03:33 AM

Default Anybody like this play by \"TheBeat\"?

Stars 10+1 rebuy
I was sitting at the same table with "TheBeat" and watched this hand take place.
Blinds 400/800 with a 50 ante
The beat is in the BB and has 18600 in chips
Folded to the SB (45,000) who min raises the beats blinds to 1600, the beat calls.
Flop is
[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K
SB bets 2400, the beat calls
Turn [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7
SB bets 5600, the beat calls.
River [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4c
SB bets 8800 which is a 100 shy of putting the beat all in, the beat moves the rest in
BB has [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A
the beat [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9, and the beat gets knocked out of the tournament, I thought he played this hand in a strange way, anybody got any comments?
Old 06-09-2004, 03:41 AM

Default Re: Anybody like this play by \"TheBeat\"?

His play sounds horrendous to me.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:44 AM

Got to agree with Justin, it looks absolutely awful.
Old 06-09-2004, 04:06 AM

must've been bored
Old 06-09-2004, 04:11 AM

Clicked on check/call any by mistake and got back to find he had only 100 left to work with so threw it in.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:26 AM

You know, he did the same exact thing to me once. Same $10 rebuy tourney, the nightly one that attracts 800+. We're down to under 100 and we both have above avg stacks. He raises from CO to 3X BB or so. I have AK in the BB and raise the pot. He calls. Flop is AJx and I bet the pot. He calls. Turn is some card and I go all-in here or on the river, I don't remember, but either way we get all our money in and he does nothing but call. I think to my self, "oh no, he's trapped me with AJ or some set" and he turns over ATo. Never played back or anything, just called off his whole stack. I busted him and moved to the top five in chips, so this was a big hand. Maybe he thought I was just bluffing off my stack or had KK/QQ, I don't know, but he played it really passively.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:11 AM

I tend to disagree with you guys..Those of you who ever played with Pete Giardano, knows that he doesn't play to sneak into the money. Pete plays to win, and if there is a situation where he can get a lot of chips for the stretch run, he'll go for it, even if he'll jeopardize his stack. That's why he has a lot of early exits, but the majority of his money finishes are in the top 5. Its a high risk/High reward style that I believe gets the big money in NL.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I tend to disagree with you guys..Those of you who ever played with Pete Giardano, knows that he doesn't play to sneak into the money. Pete plays to win, and if there is a situation where he can get a lot of chips for the stretch run, he'll go for it, even if he'll jeopardize his stack. That's why he has a lot of early exits, but the majority of his money finishes are in the top 5. Its a high risk/High reward style that I believe gets the big money in NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

He plays to win...blah blah blah. That's fine and dandy, but he picked a horrible spot to jeopardize his stack. I could see maybe pushing on the flop if you wanted to make a move, but instead he looked like a calling station on this hand.

I know he gets good results (including a nice finish at the WSOP), but it just seemed like a strange play here.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:23 AM

Calling off your stack randomly is just not playing to win.