Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2004, 03:38 AM

Default Fold top pair?

Pokerstars 35+3 double shootout
blinds 10/20
First hand
I have 1500 in chips
I am dealt [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J on the button
Folded to me, I raise to 60, BB calls
Flop is
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4
BB checks, I bet the pot (145) he calls
Turn [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3
BB checks,I raise to 200, and he now mini check raises me to 400
I was a bit puzzled as to what to do here, surely he coulnt of called me with 5-7 or 5-2 before the flop, also I didnt think he could have J-6 or some other junk hand although its possible,although it is possible he flopped a small set or hit it on the turn, or was just perhaps putting me on A-K and thinking a K-J or Q-J type hand was the best hand.
River [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9
He bets 940 and is all in, I think about it for awhile and then fold.Should I pushed in on the turn? Or checked the turn to induce a bluff on the river?
Old 06-04-2004, 08:00 AM

Default Re: Fold top pair?

First, Top pair top kicker, being vulnerable, is a pot sized bet on the blank turn, which I calculate as 420, not 200. However, when he check raises you on the turn, it's a fold or all in situation. From the river bet, I'm guessing he is on J9 and testing to see if you have a Jack beat on the turn raise.

Unfortunately, in the early going with blinds small, a 3x BB raise is relatively weak. I usually raise 5x-6x, minimum of 90, in the earlier stages. A raise of 60 is not meaningful enough compared to the size of the stacks.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:48 AM

Who knows?? The small raise usually means a monster to me, but I see bad players make very small raises too. I'm almost positive you made a good laydown, and maybe should have saved 200 chips by folding on the turn. I can't see going bust on a one pair hand in the first round of the tournament. BLinds are low and u have lots of time to come back.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:01 AM

There are many hands that he could have that beat you from out of the big blind that people call with (not good players, maybe) but this smells like a bluff or semi-bluff to me. Sure he could have an over pair or flopped a set, but more than likely he just figured that since you only called his min-raise, that you weren't in love with your hand enough to get knocked out with it on the first hand.