Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2004, 09:00 PM

Default New backgammon player

Hi all,

I am a chess and poker player who has long been fascinated by backgammon and finally decided to take the plunge. Just a few questions to get me started.

What are the best discussion forums for backgammon?
What is the best place to play online. I downloaded a client for FIBS, but is there a better place?

Thanks,
chris
Old 07-30-2004, 05:47 PM

Default Re: New backgammon player

Go to google and type "Backgammon galore" also google groups has a backgammon message board which is somewhat useful, Backgammon galore has some links to a backgammon playing bot named GNU that is free and very strong and can be used to study your games.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:55 PM

I'd second the gnu backgammon notion.

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnubg/gnubg.html
Old 07-31-2004, 03:26 PM

The best discussion forum for backgammon in English is the www.gammonline.com bulletin board. This used to be part of a magazine that came out monthly. If you pay $36 once you get access to all of the back issues, and this is better than any book. The discussion board features regular comments by several of the world's best players, including Neil Kazaross and Kit Woolsey. It's run off of the same server as FIBS.

FIBS is a good place to play. I prefer GamesGrid, as the competition is stronger and there is money play, but I think FIBS is the best free server and I still play there.

I also recommend the online magazine www.GammonVillage.com and the rec.games.backgammon archive.

I believe there are some active discussion boards in Danish and Japanese, among other languages, but I usually don't read these. At least some of the time, interesting topics are cross-posted.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The best discussion forum for backgammon in English is the www.gammonline.com bulletin board. This used to be part of a magazine that came out monthly. If you pay $36 once you get access to all of the back issues, and this is better than any book. The discussion board features regular comments by several of the world's best players, including Neil Kazaross and Kit Woolsey. It's run off of the same server as FIBS.

FIBS is a good place to play. I prefer GamesGrid, as the competition is stronger and there is money play, but I think FIBS is the best free server and I still play there.

I also recommend the online magazine www.GammonVillage.com and the rec.games.backgammon archive.

I believe there are some active discussion boards in Danish and Japanese, among other languages, but I usually don't read these. At least some of the time, interesting topics are cross-posted.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is much cheating on Games Grid. Unless you are highly skilled, or have the ability to catch cheating, I would be highly suspect of playing on GG for money.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:11 PM

Hi

You can try also truemoneygames.com you can play there for free and for $$$ and you dont need a membership like on gamesgrid. playmaker.com is also nice but without money. But take care if u play for money in backgammon much more sharks are in the bassin. Poker is much easier to win money, and i play better backgammon!!!!!!!!

regards Wolfgang