Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-30-2005, 10:44 AM

Default Party = Crack...and im addicted !!!

Hi. My name is Big Limpin' and im a crackhead.
(Hi BL !)
I'm not sure when it started, i guess about a month ago. At first, it was just harmless fun. I threw a couple bills into Empire for sh*ts and giggles. I wanted to see what the fun was about. I come from a rough neighborhood (read: 2+2),
and there are crackheads everywhere. Its an epidemic. I felt i was a minority, living clean, playing deepstack poker, trying to be the best i could be.

But that first night of Party. What can i say? What a bender man. I was high. (how high?) So high i could kiss the sky. The action was fast and furious. Blinds were skyrocketing. Players falling. Pushes wherever i looked. I was in a daze. But i loved it. I almost felt a sense of guilt. How could i be enjoying this? This aint poker.

Well the next day...i looked back with shame at my excursion to the forbidden land. What had i become? A goon? A pimp? A pusher? I was scared. All my life i had led the clean life. Did i want to throw that all away?

I returned to my old stomping grounds. It was comfortable, it was profitable. They knew me here. I was back in my element. Here, the skills i had spent years honing...getting away from hands, bluff-calling, picking up posts when they "ran out of gas", managing pot sizes...they appreciated these thing here.

But i had tasted the forbidden fruit. It wasn't even a week before my resolve crumbled. I had to have some more of that sweet sweet crack. I wanted, nay, i needed another taste of that methamphetamine that was high octane, short stack, horrendous skills crackhouse that was Party Poker.

So there i was again. I knew i had an addiction at this point. But i thought i could handle it. Hey, i know what im doing, i though. Moderation, thats all. I could still grind out my dayjob at the "real poker" sites. Just on weekends i'd hit the Party. And then, it bacame once or twice during the week. And it bagan to snowball out of control. Some days, i wouldnt even turn up to "work". Sometimes for days at a time, i wouldnt come "home".

I'd make excuses. Id tell them i was taking time off. I coulnt admit that i had a Party/crack problem. I had become a shadow of my former self. My skills eroded. When i would turn up at my old site, id play like complete crap. I'd turn into a maniac when the blinds hit 150-300. I'd push, then realize that doh, i just overbet that pot by threefold. Damn i had alot of chips. I was a ghost of what i used to be.

So here i am, Big Limpin. Crackhead [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

OK, seriously, i have become very enamored with the structure. Well, thats not quite it, i still don't really "like" it, but i am blown away by how completely awful the vast majority of players are at the $22 level. I'm used to playing higher, but i still know how $22ers are at other sites, and this is weak.

So let me say it now, for the record:

I, Big Limpin', am converting fulltime to Party.

At the very least, for one full month. I may say fuckit after that, but for the month of June, i will play only at Party. I'm ready to embrace it, learn it, and learn new skills while mothballing old ones. I dedicate myself to becoming the best 800chipper i can be.

The plan: I'm at about 250 tourneys so far. I'm going to stay at $22 until i have 500 under my belt. Im getting pretty comfortable with the structure by now, and i thinnk most growing pains are behind me, but i figure by 500 i will have no more excuses.

When i get to 500 (prolly about a week from now), i'll post my stats, my biggest questions, and ask for advice on how i should proceed at Party.

Whew, guess thats all. This post jsut started out as a quick allegory of party being like crack and i like it, but got a little longwinded after that. Thanks if you got this far, hope you laughed at least once. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

BL - Limpin' aint easy