Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2004, 10:17 AM

Default Buying Term Papers- Is It Safe?

I've never cheated before and I'm paranoid. Is it safe to buy a term paper online?

Some background: I'm buying a 12 and 1/2 page research paper on gay, lesbian, and bisexual identity development for my lifespan development class. My instructor is only just about to get her doctorate's. She's extremely bright, but she can't have been around long enough to catch on ... right?

One of my concerns is that the paper I'm thinking about buying is from 2002- so it is a little out-dated. Getting a custom-written paper would cost me something around $300, and it would take a few days.

I've gotten an A on every test in the class, so she wouldn't be surprised by an A paper- but I just found out it was due yesterday, and I've barely gotten started.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Buying Term Papers- Is It Safe?

Unless it's due in the next 8 hours, I don't see how buying a paper is necessary. You're obviously smart, getting all A's on the tests, just sit down and bust one out the best you can.

EDIT: Ooops, I never actually answered your question. Most teachers subscribe to online report checkers that search papers for plagarism. They have hundreds of thousands of archived essays, and every book ever written. If you have to turn your paper in on a disk, it's gonna show up on that real quick.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:42 AM

Don't risk it.

[ QUOTE ]
I've gotten an A on every test in the class, so she wouldn't be surprised by an A paper

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you want to risk discrediting all the excellent work you've done over one stupid paper? Find another option, the risk:reward for cheating is not favourable.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:08 AM

I know a guy who got kicked out of college for plagiarizing. To say it screwed up his life is an understatement. He was the umm....salutatorian? in high school -- the guy with the second highest grade point average. Seems like a very big risk. Even paying the $300, because why wouldn't they just sell you an essay they've actually already sold before? What, people who are in the business of helping people cheat would be so honest? I doubt it. Or they cold just piece it together out of a bunch of other essays, still lifting big parts whole and in a traceable way.

I wouldn't, and not just because I'm old-fashioned.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:09 AM

It was due yesterday. If I get a paper custom-written to my exact specifications, that can't be caught can it?
Old 11-21-2004, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It was due yesterday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but obviously you can't hand it in yesterday. When is it actually due, as in if you don't hand it in by then, you're fukked?
Old 11-21-2004, 11:27 AM

I wasn't really worried about getting [censored], just keeping my A. I guess there is a significant risk, so I'll just write the damned thing.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't really worried about getting [censored], just keeping my A. I guess there is a significant risk, so I'll just write the damned thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good choice.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:55 PM

My Dad and I spent a lot of our vacation this summer with two of his friends who are university professors. They both said that they spend a lot of time trying to see if a paper has been plagarized.

Two big reasons that you're likely to get caught (or would have been likely to get caught):

(1) Many universities subscribe to commercial services that purchase all of the papers available for sale online and put them into a searchable database for easy comparison with student work.

(2) Almost all Profs and TAs apparently google significant portions of papers and compare topics with papers available for sale on at least a few of the commercial paper sites. Even if you got a paper "custom written," there's no guarantee that it's not going to be plagarized from internet sources. Maybe your school wouldn't crucify you for bad footnoting, but mine certainly would have. Just not a risk worth taking.

Also, if you're going to be dishonest, you'd be better off coming up with a bogus reason that you need an extension. There's almost no risk in that, and the fact that you've done good work in the class so far means it's very likely to work.

scrub
Old 11-21-2004, 02:12 PM

How is this for getting [censored] on for cheating....

I copied a friends essay who is in a class of mine that is just massive, like 450 people. We had different TAs, so I figure I'd be fine if I just took his. We get our papers back, his TA gives him a 93, mine gives me a C-

WTF!?!?!?!