Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2004, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Logic Question

[ QUOTE ]
Never have I ever seen a thread with more of the same exact answers before.......uhhhh it has to be 4 or 5 because they wouldnt say we're 1 of 5 if they were #3 blahblahblahhhhhhhh [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I agree, it's pretty bad. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2004, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Rated one of the top five buffets in the world."

Obviously that's pretty good. But the question is of the top five, which number is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Rated one of the top five buffets in the world... It's saying it's rated first out of the top five hehe :P
Old 10-22-2004, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rated one of the top five buffets in the world... It's saying it's rated first out of the top five hehe :P

[/ QUOTE ]

Read Mason's answer.

I must say, the type of responses he continues to get are very funny. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2004, 06:28 PM

Those who say the answer is 4 or 5 are assuming that only one ranking event determined the restaurant's quality. There could have easily been two such events in which the restaurant placed 1st in one and 5th in the another. If this is the case, the sign illustrates a consensus opinion of its quality.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:00 AM

I the statement is indeed true it was rated number one *in* the top five buffets. However if the above premis is not a true statment than the advetisement is a fallacy of ambiguity or presumption.

However if it was indeed # 1 they would plainly state " Rated # one buffett in the world" as there is no need to include any others including # 50 or #5000.. Likewise if it was Number 3 no need to include 4 or 5 if individual ratings were givin. However if ratings 1-5 were given as a block then it could be truly rated as one of the top 5 buffetts in the world . In this case any buffett in that group could claim to be #1 or equal to #1 which in my mind is #1

So it is very likely it is at best #5

As an aside I would think it is highly doubtfull that it was even close to #5 as far as buffetts go.

timmer
Old 11-04-2004, 06:34 PM

Default Re: The Correct Answer

[ QUOTE ]
2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] + 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] = 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

MM

[/ QUOTE ]

go read 1984 for the REAL answer.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Obviously that's pretty good. But the question is of the top five, which number is it?

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

None! They are bluffing! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2004, 08:10 AM

I'd go for number 4.

They must get people all the time saying "You're number five aren't you?" and to be able to respond "No, we're number four" creates a feeling of honesty.

My actual guess is that it's ranked #434211 and they are lying however because if it really was one of the top five, other people would do the advertising for them to get more people into the area.

Lori