Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Re: ***OFFICIAL***Spoilers of Half-Blood Prince Thread

Snape not really a traitor?
Does this seem just as stupid to you as it does to me?

linky
Some of these people are idiots, but others make a few decent points.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Snape not really a traitor?
Does this seem just as stupid to you as it does to me?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't read that thread.

I think there's an excellent chance Snape is still working to defeat Voldemort.

Dumbledore and Snape were overheard arguing earlier in the story but the details (as is often the case) are unknown. I think it's fair to speculate that Dumbledore insisted that Snape remain true to his vow to Narcissa Malfoy in order to assure his place close to Voldemort. If that meant that even Dumbledore himself had to be sacrificed, then it was worth the cost.

Dumbledore pleading just before death was completly out of his nature. He would never plead for his life (showing cowardice and weakness). He had to be pleading for something else. I would guess that he was pleading with Snape to do something Snape didn't want to do- kill Dumbledore in order to save and eleveate his position with Voldemort (and also save the lives of the Malfoys).
Old 07-17-2005, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

On the R.A.B thing I think the most important things to consider are

1) Is it even a character we have encountered yet? I would think yes.

2 is the dark lord aspect of it which spamuell already mentioned.

edit - and "I know I will be long dead before you read this"

[/ QUOTE ]

In addition to Regulus Black, we shold also consider Borgin and/or Burke (neither of which have first names yet). They knew Riddle just after he left Hogwarts and had actually purchased the locket from Merope.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the link, I glanced at it but I hate coming to these things halfway through.

I was thinking about the "Dark Lord" thing, it's not only Death Eaters who use that term, unless there's something about Trelawney that we don't know (and I'm pretty sure there isn't).
Old 07-17-2005, 02:33 PM

Besides those points, Dumbledore knew that Draco was trying to kill him the whole book, and knew that Snape promised to help him. Harry told Dumbledore about how he heard Snape mention the unbreakable vow as well, yet none of this seemed to phase him in the least.

Also, at the point he died, Dumbledore really had no chance of escape - if Snape didn't kill him one of the other death eaters would have. Seems to me like Snape (and Dumbledore) knew it was inevitable and wanted more influence with Voldemort.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:53 PM

I think there's a good chance that Snape is not a Voldemort supporter. Rowling is not that simple. She would never make Snape the villain because we have spent too much time suspecting him. It's likely that a bigger twist awaits. Similarly, I wouldn't count Malfoy as a true supporter either. The way the scene is set up, it looks like Malfoy is more afraid than supportive of Voldemort. Lastly, there is more to Dumbledore than what meets the eye. We know that he is the only wizard that Voldemort fears and we also know that he has said that his presence will always remain at Hogwarts to those who support him, so I woudn't be surprised if we haven't heard the last of him.

Does anyone suspect that Dumbledore might be in league with Voldemort?

Did anyone think that it was strange that Harry, Ron, Hermione didn't suspect that Voldemort was the half-blood prince? Am I missing something or was that a plot hole?
Old 07-17-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone suspect that Dumbledore might be in league with Voldemort?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would he be? If he was, he has had loads of opportunities to help Voldemort or kill Harry. It seems unlikely.

[ QUOTE ]
Did anyone think that it was strange that Harry, Ron, Hermione didn't suspect that Voldemort was the half-blood prince? Am I missing something or was that a plot hole?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I thought that was weird too.

I agree with you and Dynasty that there is a good chance Snape is not a Voldemort supporter.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:15 PM

Has everyone forgot when Dumbledore was in his office in OotP that he was talking with the pictures of the Past Headmasters?

I feel that Dumbledore dying was part of something bigger, and I feel that it will be explained to Harry either by a portrait of Dumbledore, or a bigger stretch would be in the Mirror of Erised.

Steve
Old 07-17-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Has everyone forgot when Dumbledore was in his office in OotP that he was talking with the pictures of the Past Headmasters?

[/ QUOTE ]

But we can assume that these portraits were made at the end of their headship, we don't know whether a portrait of Dumbledore exists.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:38 PM

Just speculation on my part...it would clearly be a twist no one would expect if Dumbledore was in league with Voldemort. Dumbledore knows the prophecy and is always the one who illuminates the tremendous similarities between Harry and Voldemort (especially in Half-Blood prince). He tells Harry that the difference between them is Harry's ability to love, which can prove to be a weakness or a strength in his battle against Voldemort. Now that Harry knows that he needs to eliminate the horcruxes to kill Voldemort maybe Voldemort knows that he must prey on Harry's love to kill him. Harry realizes that this is his potential weakness which is why he breaks it off with Ginny, but we can be assured that if Harry knows it than Voldemort knows it too and maybe Dumbledore is the link.