Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Re: I realized something the other day...

[ QUOTE ]
(there are many easier ways to make much more money).

[/ QUOTE ]

A relatively sharp guy with a small starting bankroll and knowledge of what to read can be making $40/hr, or more, after two or three months. No experience or connections required. I'm sure you've got some brilliant stock-market/daytrading/whatever scheme that pulls you in ten times that, but I'm not sure that there IS an obviously easier way to make Much More Money.

If there are, please share [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 01-10-2005, 08:37 PM

Demana,

Check out the book MASTERY by George Leonard. It sounds like you play for the pure enjoyment of progressing towards mastery.

That is a noble motivation, regardless of the game.

To be a true Master.

It's very rare.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:59 PM

I want to know the easier ways to make money too! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

here's mine:
1) money
2) I hate working
c) competition
4) Donkeys are fun to ride
5) It's also fun to kill sharks
Old 01-10-2005, 10:40 PM

Thanks Dan.

I'll pick up a copy and bring it with me to Vegas this weekend [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2005, 12:43 AM

Ha... it takes more then a relatively sharp guy to make $40/hour playing cards. AFTER 2 or 3 MONTHS!?!?!?!?! lmao
Bill gates is a sharp guy but I gurantee he couldn't beat the game for $40/hour after a couple months. Experience and disciplin is the key and it takes years.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:03 AM

I think money will cause a true pro to play better. I have bills to pay, I pay them playing poker. I absolutely can never go on tilt and am ALWAYS playing my A game. I play the game for money and money only. Many times I have to force myself to play even though I'd rather be doing something else. If you want a challenge and a way to score it go play golf or something. Poker is about MONEY, and if you just play for a hobby, you will never be as good as the money players... period!
Old 01-11-2005, 11:01 AM

Sucks to be you then [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Beating two tables of 5/10 SH for 2BB/hr, after maybe three months of play, may be a little difficult/take a little luck initially, but it's hardly a miracle.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:21 PM

Demana,

I will second Dan's recommendation. You should read this book. Leonard frequently references athletes who compete and participate for the love of their sport and as a by-product become olympic champions.

For a poker player it can greatly shift, or perhaps enhance your perspective of the "the grind" and provide many a calming reminder of why we started playing in the first place. So much so that I considered drafting a post about it this very morning. I revisited several chapters last night and realized my frame of mind was way off center.
Anyway, you love poker and if you are good, you will make money. I don't think this is any different from the top pros. Phil Ivey plays for a living, so money is important, but he consistently points out how much he loves the game and that it is most of what he thinks about.

Regards,
Jarid
Old 01-11-2005, 12:47 PM

I don't see anything wrong with playing the game of poker as a challenge, and to learn how the other's play and outsmart them. My problem is the opposite. I get too caught-up in the money-won aspect and I think that is worse.

You don't say that you game is worse because you are not worried about the money aspect. Ideally this is where I would like to be; in a position to not worry about the bucks and just play my best game. How can that be wrong?

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't say that you game is worse because you are not worried about the money aspect. Ideally this is where I would like to be; in a position to not worry about the bucks and just play my best game. How can that be wrong?

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what sparked my initial post. I seem to hear a constant barrage of "I play poker to win money!" and "why would you play poker if not to make money?" from people and it got me thinking about why I play. Then the answer struck me and hence my post.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I picked up a copy of "Mastery" last night and will be reading (and hopefully understanding) it soon [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]