Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2004, 08:48 AM

Default Re: Down to the felt

Damn there's some retards on this site. Just went down the list and read all the messages. First off, I am a very succesful 22 year old poker player. Started when I was 18. Clearly this down to felt guy went broke since he's not back to talk about it. Just to respond to a couple statements. No, I've never had to borrow money. And not all players go broke when startin out with an insufficent bankroll. A winning poker player will have swings, but if you start with a good swing, you will never look back. You will have swings back but will never go broke. I did it with 15-30... only had about 2k at the time in my roll. I had access to more money and had cashed money from my bankroll at the time. But 2k is way under bankrolled, but since then I've made more then 50k playin the game.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:57 AM

oh ya, and no one makes 9k in 2 months playing 1-2. Someone who says that clearly lost about 1k on their credit card and get a little adrenalin rush telling stories because they actually start to believe them.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:59 AM

Default Sigh

And as far as I can tell I wasn't complaining. I was merely stating a statistical probability.

I say someone's grammar is bad but misspell grammar?!?! Come on, buddy, you need to relax a little. Obviously you didn't see the humor in it. You seem to have something to prove by being so defensive about something that was meant to be funny. Tell me about your mother.

~stephen
Old 12-24-2004, 11:03 AM

Default Re: A sad state of affairs

OOOOOOO. OOOOOOOOO. Me too!!! I want to win $9k in 2 months playing no higher that $1-$2. I'm not joking, I'm dead serious.

~stephen
Old 12-24-2004, 11:12 AM

Default Re: What are you saying, \'shot?

[ QUOTE ]
BB/100: 12.49

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously this would be much better if the statistical probability of an Ace coming on the turn wasn't so high to continually beat your pocket kings.

~stephen
Old 12-24-2004, 03:08 PM

Tell me, can you click the button when you buy in that says "Three Stacks of High Society"
Old 12-24-2004, 04:52 PM

Default Re: I mean this with all respect and sincerity

If you are 22 you have many highly unfortunate and humbling experiences ahead of you.

I hope you weather them well.

That said, I agree with your position that some people actually do beat poker. Most I know, busted themselves out at least once along the way. I even have a theory that part of what it takes to become a winning player is a sort of humility that comes ONLY from busting out. But it's just MY theory.

Now go ahead and call me a condescending old fart.
Old 12-24-2004, 05:20 PM

"Damn there's some retards on this site. Just went down the list and read all the messages. First off, I am a very succesful 22 year old poker player. Started when I was 18."

Here's something you obviously don't understand, but it's not your fault. You're 22.

People in their 40's, like myself and others who responded somewhat cautioning or negatively here, have a tremendous amount of experience compared to a 22 yr old. Whether that 22 yr old is a poker pro or not. It's not a slap at you, it's the truth. When you're 40, you'll know what I mean.

Calling posters you disagree with retards, about so serious a subject of losing one's family, doesn't convey an experienced view of the big picture.

Sure, you or anyone else can make it in poker and being 22-25 without family obligations is a great time to try it. But cautioning someone who's sacrificed loved ones for poker, whether it was a bad thing or not, isn't something retarded. Far from it. If you're as wise as you think you are, you should see that.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:38 PM

Let this thread die so I can lurk in peace.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:33 PM

Well, I guess the only advice I can think of is that poker, when you break it down, is a game about making good decisions. Succeeding at poker requires good decision making both at the table and away from the table. If you find yourself hastily jumping into games that are above your limit, it sounds like you may have to take a step back and rethink your options.

While it does make for a great story (if you succeed), the odds of success are small. I know a very small group of extremely talented professionals that have succeeded at the leap of faith. However, keep in mind the vast majority who've tried have failed. In fact, of the many professionals i've met during my short time playing poker, the most successful of them have stepped up little by little never putting their bankroll or livelihood in jeopardy. In my personal opinion, given I know how well you play, you don't need to gamble like that.

Anyway, best of luck, haas. Knock em dead.