Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Is cocaine bad for you?

[ QUOTE ]
"Try actually doing some research. Statistics will show that you are very, very wrong. The majority of individuals who try cocaine will not use often. I believe that the statistic (for crack, considered the more addictive form) is only 1 in 5."

What is the statistic for those who can easily afford it?

[/ QUOTE ]

....does ease of affordability have a significant effect on the answer regarding the question asked?

Methinks we need to better (more specifically) define the question, i.e, 'Bad for you" in what way before we attempt to address it.

Physically.....

Psychologically......

Financially.....

Emotionally......

etc.........
Old 09-14-2005, 07:01 PM

I tried cocaine on a few occasions in college. Once, I had the sensation that my heart was going to explode within my chest. I highly recommend trying it.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Try actually doing some research. Statistics will show that you are very, very wrong. The majority of individuals who try cocaine will not use often. I believe that the statistic (for crack, considered the more addictive form) is only 1 in 5."

What is the statistic for those who can easily afford it?

[/ QUOTE ]

David have you tried it? (if you don't wish to answer, understandable)
Old 09-14-2005, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am not a doctor or otherwise knowledgable about the physical side effects of cocaine, but I can tell you that nearly all of the users I have known became dependent on (addicted to) it. From my own experience I can say that as soon as you start to come down (even the first time) you want more. And more. Bad news IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try actually doing some research. Statistics will show that you are very, very wrong. The majority of individuals who try cocaine will not use often. I believe that the statistic (for crack, considered the more addictive form) is only 1 in 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

My sample is too small.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am not a doctor or otherwise knowledgable about the physical side effects of cocaine, but I can tell you that nearly all of the users I have known became dependent on (addicted to) it. From my own experience I can say that as soon as you start to come down (even the first time) you want more. And more. Bad news IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try actually doing some research. Statistics will show that you are very, very wrong. The majority of individuals who try cocaine will not use often. I believe that the statistic (for crack, considered the more addictive form) is only 1 in 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

My sample is too small.

[/ QUOTE ]

....a standard consumer complaint. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2005, 09:58 PM

It sure isn't GOOD for you (unless being used medicinally- even the feds admit that cocaine has medical benifits, esp for treating infected tissue)

cocaine, like most drugs, is extremely dnagerous physically, psychologically, emotionally, and financially- not to mention that it's very illegal- buit the dangers are generally overstated, IMO, and are serious only for those with the risk factors that exacerbate the negitive effects of the drug.

People with addictive personalties, psychological disorders (esp bipolar and schitzo folks), histories of drug problems, poor people, young people, unhealthy people, etc... SHOULD NOT do coke. others may decide for themselves, as far as i care. i've done it before, and found it to be much more managable, enjoyable, and safe than say, extacy or methamphetimine. It's also not as addictive as people think. I used to hear the old line about how 'ciggerattes are more addictive than cocaine" and think "That's BS- i smoke cigs and they're not THAT addictive"... then i tried coke. After a day or so i was done with it (for a while- [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]). If i go a day or more without a ciggerette i'm ready to mug old ladies for a drag. the 'white christ' is also not as expensive as people make it out to be- for $20 one can have a fun night, for $100, four people can stay up till noon the next day. it's very easy to spend much more than that on drinks, weed, etc...

basicly, don't swallow all the horror stories and propaganda about drugs- decide for yourself; Of course, be smart, be careful to know exactly what you're putting in your body, and take responsibility for your own use.

all IMO.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:59 PM

This is all nonsense. Everyone knows cocaine is good for you. Where's the herry at?
Old 09-14-2005, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe you pulled that figure out of air, but assuming it's correct, taking a drug and having a 20% chance of becoming a habitual user sounds like a bad deal to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the figure is from an essay found in Modern Morality. The book is at home, but if you want author, source, etc, I can provide it.

You are also looking at the statisitic incorrectly. You first need to examine the type of person who would try crack-cocaine. This type of person is generally more prone to addiction, low social status, nothing to lose, etc.

There are many factors that must be examined regarding the use of illegal drugs. Simply saying something is "bad" or "good" ignores the complexity of the issue.

Also, cocaine is regarded as being very tame in regards to physical addiction. However, psychologically, users often do not want to come down and attempt to continue to stay high, hence a craving for more. But, the idea of the frantic cocaine user desperately seeking out a way to keep their high is overly dramaticized propaganda. Aside from putting strain on the heart (and the risk of use for those with high blood pressure), cocaine does not have many harmful side effects.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is all nonsense. Everyone knows cocaine is good for you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-15-2005, 03:40 AM

Regarding any of you who maintain that doing coke is not in fact bad for you, please let me know if you play poker while coked up and on what site and what limits. And are you willing to play for bigger stakes?