Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 12:36 AM

Default Sanity Check Please

I assume there's no getting away from this hand? But it's late at night, so confirmation needed.

First hand. (everyone starts with 1500T) Hero in SB

Dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

4 callers to me, I call, as does big blind.

Flop 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero Checks (intending to slow play), 2 checks, MP bets 450, UTG calls, Hero calls, others fold.

Turn 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero pushes, MP calls, UTG folds.

MP shows 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Unfortunately, the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] does not show on the river.

Not a complaint, since that's poker, but I assume that almost no matter how I play this, I'm destined to be all-in and lose?
Old 02-11-2005, 01:24 AM

Default Re: Sanity Check Please

[ QUOTE ]
Not a complaint, since that's poker, but I assume that almost no matter how I play this, I'm destined to be all-in and lose?

[/ QUOTE ]

correct
Old 02-11-2005, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you could have rivered the 2h. What's wrong with you? (Sorry Lori)
Old 02-11-2005, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you could have rivered the 2h. What's wrong with you? (Sorry Lori)

[/ QUOTE ]

He could have pushed the flop (after his raise) and made the other guy decide if he wanted to go for the full house. With the huge overbet, you had to put him on 2 pair, trips, flush draw, or an over pair. I don't know the odds of him laying down trips but they are much higher than laying down quads [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2005, 02:11 AM

Your job here is to pay him off. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

What other hands might villain have, that have you beat? Full house comes to mind. Did this enter your into your thinking at all?

Well, FWIW, I think many, many 2+2ers will pay off villain in this scenario, including yours truly.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:16 AM

After the bet/call of 450 into a pot of, like, 60, you can safely assume one of them has a smaller flush or a set and push. They'll put you on crap and call anyway because they like calling.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:42 AM

Your sane enough in my non-professional opinion.

Although if that's seriously a serious question then perhaps I will change my diagnosis, [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Yugoslav
Old 02-11-2005, 05:46 AM

This is similar to the AA question from the WSOP. If its first hand of WSOP and everyone is allin do you call with AA? Of course not, and thats why this is also a clear fold.
You have many hands to chip away at your opponents, it's always a mistake to be allin, because if your opponent get's lucky you get eliminated.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Full house comes to mind. Did this enter your into your thinking at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, a full-house did briefly enter my thinking. However, with a flop of 345, I discounted it immediately, since it would have meant that Villian elected to play one of 35 or 45 pre-flop. I suppose 45s was a possibility (though I wouldn't call with that). Given the bet on the previous street, I suppose 4 of a kind could have come into my mind, however if he'd pushed when the 2nd 5 came down, there's no way (absent a heluva read) that I could fold just because someone 'may' have 4 5s.

My thoughts at the time were that he probably had a third 5 or a third 5 and a heart.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No, you could have rivered the 2h. What's wrong with you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I had exactly the same thought, I know if I'd played it differently the 2h would have fallen on the river. Someday when I'm a better player, I'll figure that out. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]