Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 02:55 AM

Default Fold here?

Fold here?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed) converter

SB (t435)
Hero (t1005)
UTG (t830)
MP (t2160)
CO (t1180)
Button (t2390)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls t50, Button calls t50, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t200) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t300</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t600</font>, SB folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t1100
Old 02-11-2005, 02:58 AM

Default Re: Fold here?

I'm going broke here. I think the only hand you really have to worry about is 76. I push this and hope he calls with K7 or less. As a big stack, he can afford to make calls you wouldn't normally make.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:04 AM

What if he has 88, 99, TT, JJ etc? He might also be overplaying a flush draw?

Question: How healthy is your chipstack relative to the blinds? Do you think that you can utilize another edge later on that will net you chips? If so, then a fold here seems suitable.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:04 AM

"I think the only hand you really have to worry about is 76"

What about 66+ and 22???
Old 02-11-2005, 03:07 AM

I guess it depends on how aggressive he's been PF. I know if I'm big stack, I'm raising with a lot of mid-high pocket pairs, especially 88 and up. As for him hitting a set? I doubt he's raising a set here. It seems to me he'd call and try to get the rest in on the turn. It's probably player dependent though.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:20 AM

He'd probally only limp with 22. 66+ he might raise, but I think he's more likely to limp with 66-88. A set could definately minraise here. He might think Hero likes his hand and will push back. People also like to call minraises so maybe he's doing it to milk Hero. This is just too marginal too early (for me, and I'm at the $33s). I don't even bet this flop and keep my stack for the upcoming level 4 blinds.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't even bet this flop and keep my stack for the upcoming level 4 blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand your point here. I might not either depending on the game. Would you agree that if hero bets, he should call an all-in then? Especially a massive pot overbet.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:39 AM

What level is this? I'm guessing 10/1.

Regardless, betting 300 on this flop is terrible. You just bet 30% of your stack with a pair of 7s. What happens if someone calls? Now the pot is enormous and there's still 2 betting rounds to come.

I would've bet 125 on this flop.

Anyway, I guess I would've pushed in the example given. Maybe he's bluffing. Maybe he's buying a free card for his draw. I don't think folding is terrible though. You put yourself in a bad spot and you have no good choices at this point.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:09 PM

&gt; What level is this? I'm guessing 10/1.

20/2

I'm not in love with my overbet. But I felt a healthy-size bet was necessary to chase out loose callers. Maybe pot-size would have been sufficient.

After betting 125 and getting called, how do you play when the turn comes 8-K?
Old 02-11-2005, 02:36 PM

You're in a multi-way pot with a rag pair. Any of those limpers might:

1) Already have you beat with 88-AA
2) Semi-bluff raise a flush draw*
3) Semi-bluff raise a straight draw*
4) Semi-bluff raise two overs*

(*)They don't even need to know that this is what they are doing, or how strong a play this is.

In all three cases, if you face a reraise, you must fold a pair of sevens. Why? There are a TON of scare cards left in the deck, so you're going to fold on the turn anyway, even if a villain just calls your flop bet.

You do not need to commit so many chips to determine your plan of action. A standard lead at the flop -- .75 to 1 pot -- will provide you with enough information to continue.

Think about it this way: the only way you can scare out a true chaser is to push all your chips in the middle RIGHT NOW. Don't fear the chasers; simply set a high price to keep the pot odds in your favor. You don't need to overbet to do that.