Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 09:49 PM

Default Re: Weighing the Odds - Finish it?

Personally, I loved the book. I'm going to re-read it soon when I get the time. The first 1/2 of the book or so is some repeat if you've read the standard 2+2 books, but even those have some good material.

The second half of the book is great, IMO. I'd definitely finish it, it's well worth your time.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:15 PM

Sorry, no. I don't have the experience in those games, and don't have the interest right now to spend the time to gain the experience. Even if I wanted to, I estimate it would take at least a year of playing full-time in those games before I was comfortable writing about them.

I've read that Andy B is writing a 7-Stud book - or is it 7-Stud hi-lo? I'm not sure, but based on my limited experience reading his posts on 2+2, I think his book will be incredible for those topics.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Vincent,
I hope you do finish it, and I hope the rest of the book is more enjoyable and useful to you.

Everyone else,
Thanks for the constructive criticism. I've already made some changes due to messages I've received from readers, so it's always helpful to me. Of course I won't agree with every problem that readers have, but it's good to know about these issues so I can make corrections, clarifications or changes. Thanks.

As for the free chapter on The River that a poster referred to, it can be found here:

A preview chapter: The River

It is in an adobe acrobat format online, that means some may have trouble viewing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes! The chapter on the river is the best in the book IMO. And you're giving it away for free? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I agree that the first 1/3 of the book isn't that useful... but that's fine. It was mentioned in the book that that first third was at a more beginner's level, and I actually find DIPO useful and am trying to work it into my game rather than just memorizing odds.

Seriously, if you like the mathematical side to poker, this book is a must, and IMO it is the best poker book I have read. And I haven't even read the whole book yet (currently on the Shorthanded chapter).
Old 10-27-2005, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've read about 60 pages, and I'm not too impressed with it so far. It's not horrible, but it's not good either. It got 5 stars on Amazon by 14 reviewers, so I got it. Is this book worth finishing?

[/ QUOTE ]

The first part of the book goes over topics like expected value and counting outs, which aren't all that interesting, especially if you already know this stuff. I didn't mind the review, but I do think it's probably the most boring section of the book. Like some others on here, I do think the book gets better as it goes on, although I haven't finished reading it yet. I'm on page 154.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:26 AM

I just finished it recently. I would say that, yes, if you have read SSH already you will not find much new in the first third of the book or so. That does not make it a bad book. If someone read WLLH and then read Ed's GSIH and he said "Not a good book, not much new in here" many here would likely not take that too well, and they shouldn't. Just because a book doesn't plow new ground for you doesn't make it a bad book.

That said, I would agree that I did not find DIPO to be useful. However there were sections in the book that IIRC covers ground that SSH did not - or at least covered them in a way that it got a point across to me that I didn't get when reading SSH. Namely:

Starting hands change value: When T9s is better than ATo when in the BB facing a raise, and when it is not.

The chapter on Hand Reading was very helpful to me; and the two on Short Handed Play, I thought were great material for anyone playing 6-max, which is all I've played for months now.

King, thanks for helping me be a better player.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:21 AM

I bought Weighing the Odds and find it very useful. No one book gives you all the tools you need to become a good player.

I use ITH's starting charts
SSH postflop in loose games
HPFAP postflop in tighter, smarter games
WTO's Dipo methods
Harrington for tourneys
Old 10-28-2005, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've read that Andy B is writing a 7-Stud book - or is it 7-Stud hi-lo? I'm not sure, but based on my limited experience reading his posts on 2+2, I think his book will be incredible for those topics.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think it would be 7 stud hi/lo aka stud/8. He's a great poster and it would fill a void in the market only partially filled by Zee and the Todd Brunsen section in Super System 2.

~ Rick
Old 10-28-2005, 01:47 PM

You really use the DIPO method? Don't you find it more cumbersome than just trying to count your outs and comparing it to the Expected pot size and using an odds chart? To each his own though.

I've read about the first 1/2 and the SH section and agree that it picks up after the first 100 pages or so. I think that the free card, bluffing, and semi-bluffing sections all are good and I plan on rereading those imediatly upon finishing the book.