Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2005, 09:03 AM

Default What\'s the consensus on limping UTG with AK early in a tourney?

We all know the situation. You get AK UTG early in an SNG, raise to 3-4BB, and get two-four callers with everything from 33 to JTs. The flop misses you two out of three times, or when it hits an A or K, it may often have another broadway card, which may or may not mean squat, but could make you nervous as you get called down or reraised on your flop bet.

And since the blinds themselves aren't worth winning at this point, what's your thoughts on simply limping, seeing the ensuing action, and maybe calling a reasonable raise?

Discuss.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:33 AM

Default Re: What\'s the consensus on limping UTG with AK early in a tourney?

I've been moving back and forth with this lately. Sometimes I'll limp and play the flop, turn and river slow, which feels very weak.

I've also tried raising to t100 watching three people call wiffing the flop and folding to action. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Really, I think that UTG limping is the best option. Especially if you have that jackass that will min raise in MP. Then you can bang him all-in and pick up a pretty good pot, or even more than double up when he calls with his Q 10. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2005, 09:39 AM

I don't like it because it makes it too hard to extract a decent amount when you hit the jackpot - say flopping an ace against AT. There's so little in the pot on the flop that you can't bet very big.

That said, it's not going to be a big deal if you limp it. I firmly believe I could still beat the $200's if I folded every AK preflop on levels 1 and 2. In fact, I think my win rate would barely register any change.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:20 PM

i think UTG limping with AK is by FAR the best way to play the hand. limp calling a raise is perfectly acceptable.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:21 PM

Saying that it's by FAR the best way to play the hand is a bit much. I have limped before, but I like to raise with it.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:24 PM

well, my method of playing early is super tight. i think most people waste way too many chips early with AK, and can get trapped very easily having second best. therefore, i do like just limping utg with it, and am able to get away from it very cheaply if i miss, and win a decent pot if i get a good flop. i would like to hear other comments on this. it may not be by FAR the best play, but for my style, it works well and i like it.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:32 PM

I prefer raising with it, reason you will get callers with dominated hands and will make more money. It also gives you a better read on who you are in the pot with.

My fear with limping is getting pots with 6-7 limpers going to the flop. You have no clue what people will limp with. You could easily hit TPTK but will be behind as the guy that you let limp in with J3suited hit his bottom 2 pair.

Now if you are in a game where there is a manical raiser of every pot (no matter what the hand) or an aggressive late position/button raiser then I can see limping as the play as the pot will still be raised and your hand will be disguised.

I still prefer raising, it amazes me what people will call large raises with...
Old 02-14-2005, 05:54 PM

i suppose the reasons you mentioned give me reason NOT to raise. i dont want people in there with crap when i make it 60 utg pre flop, flop all low cards, and have to fire at the pot. to make a legit pot bet i have to make it around 100. if i get called and dont improve on the turn, then what? fire again? check fold? check folding leaves you with ~840 chips assuming you have yet to play a hand. not to mention the fact that you could have just been outplayed by AQ who took your turn check as a sign of extreme weakness, and by all means were correct.

i guess playing 1 to 2 tables i would prefer raising, as i can try to get a decent read on my opponents and actually try to outplay them. i 8 table, so limping and getting away from AK cheaply is a perfectly acceptable, and probably +ev play for me. i just like to risk as few chips as possible in the early rounds. you cant win the tourney early, you can only lose.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:08 PM

I think limping is weak. I don't understand people arguing to limp with a premium hand.

You want to raise because (1) you have a good hand... get some value out of it. (2) You want to narrow the field so that when the flop comes A-3-5, you didn't let the guy in the BB a free look with his 2-4os or the guy with the A3 a cheap flop.

How many times do you win a hand that you limp in with that you know you would have folded preflop if anyone raised?

I've lost more hands then I care to remember in my early days because I didn't raise preflop.

The only time I'm limping with AK is if I have it in the BB, 5-6 people have already limped before me AND I know I'm not going to get anyone out with a raise AND I'm going to be playing it out of position.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:09 PM

the only way i limp with this hand is if i am fairly sure someone will raise the pot after me. if the table is tight or passive and likes to limp i will raise 5X the BB, i mean with this hand why would you want to take a chance of being in a community pot especially if you only get a piece?