Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2004, 01:21 PM

Default A Hurricane with Chips

This past Monday I had to go to Compton, and afterwards I decided to visit the Bike. I wander in and see an open spot in an 8/16 game. The open seat is seat 6, ASQ is in the 7 spot, Steve is in 8 and Rick Nebiolo is in seat 9. Rick and ASQ you may be familiar with, but Steve, well he is an entertaining fellow. I don't think that there is a starting hard that he doesn't like nor is there one that he doesn't like to raise with. You can usually find him most lunch times at the Bike where he puts food in his mouth and chips in the pot.

I sit down as the big blind is due and Art looks at me and asks if I want to take the big blind. I look at a short stacked Steve and decide I'll wait for my chips to arrive before engaging. Art posts and gives me that "so you're gonna let him raise my big blind" look. True to form Steve raises and goes all in on the turn, at which point he decides to look at his cards. Due to the fact that even maniacs get good hands sometimes Steve drags the pot after turning 2 pair, his hole cards were AK.

Well to make a long story short Steve goes on the mother of all rushes, in his remaining 30 minutes he racks up over 5 racks, that's over $1000.00. He is raising incessently and showing some really aweful starting hands, but they all seem to catch the board. I know he wants to stay but his pager and cell phone keep sounding and he departs back to work.

Fast forward to yesterday, Friday, and I'm in the Bike again and again it's lunch time and I'm waiting for an 8/16 game to start. And you'll never guess who I see snifing around the tables looking for an open seat, first he takes a look at the 6/12 omaha, then he surveys the no limit game, not trying to size up the players but just looking for an empty chair. The main difference being that it is casual Friday and Steve is without a tie. After a few minutes an 8/16 games starts and I take the 2 spot, Steve is in the 5 seat. I smile and nod in his direction and he smiles back. I comment on his rush from Monday and he just laughs and says "Yeah, but it's all gone now". Unfortunately for Steve, his good fortune from Monday had disappeared and he experienced a $400.00 lunch. He did however leave with the same smiling face he always wears just as he always does.