Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2004, 09:30 AM

Default Re: SnG results (late game)

[ QUOTE ]
I had the two black aces.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW!! I don't know what to say, except why did you think Tim would check-raise you all-in with the nut flush??

No offence, but I think you've made an extremely problematic fold, to say the least.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:47 AM

I think you have the PF play a bit confused:

me UTG makes it 3BB
Ska raises to 150
I call

Flop I check raise.

But I am inclined to agree. I am unlikely to check raise all in with nut flush, unless I am being really tricky.

And I am uinlikely to have KK as I would almost certainly reraise PF.

Tim
Old 04-30-2004, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you have the PF play a bit confused

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you are right, I've noticed that myself right after posting, and deleted the part about the pre-flop play.

However, this doesn't change anything in my view about the post-flop play, which I think is very questionable, and was the reason I wrote my post.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:53 PM

...", said the expert theif.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:01 PM

I've replayed this hand about 100 times in my mind today at work, and here's what I came up with.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] My preflop re-raise was too weak. I probably should've made it around 500 to go. Although with A-K, I'm not so sure that Tim would throw it away for that amount. That he called my small re-raise led me to put him on A-face suited. Which leads us to...

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ... the flop. The all-diamond flop scared me because of my earlier read. When it was checked to me, I had a bit of a brain freeze I guess. I didn't want to give a free card in case he WAS on a draw. When the check-raise hit after my bet of 450, I thought about it and decided that it was just the kind of play *I* would be tempted to make if I hit the nut flush on the flop.

Bottom line, I'm pretty sure I out-thought myself. If you'll excuse me, I'm off to get my WEAK-TIGHT tattoo on my forehead.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:38 PM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob

[ QUOTE ]
...", said the expert theif.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who? Me? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

William [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-30-2004, 10:10 PM

To be honest I would and I think many would play this exactly the same you played it. And those who wouldn't play it this way may wish they could.

Scary flops are called scary flops for a reason - they give an advantage to the player with the weaker hand.

I think in the long run you played this hand just fine. Don't beat yourself up, you were only giving up 13% on a tricky hand. We call 9% a coin flip around here (which admittedly I am starting to disagree with). 13% in the very early stages is not a massive leak in a SnG.

Tim
Old 04-30-2004, 11:54 PM

i don't think i lay this down with AA, heads up. With more opponents it is much easier to fold. Maybe it's not proper thinking, but in this situation i would just be thinking "no way did this guy just flop the nut flush heads up against me. Also, if he has the nuts, would he really put me all in? Take that with a grain of salt as the others who are giving advice are much the better player than myself.

By the way, i've been absent from the weekly SNG's. Its crunch time in my senior year, so you probably won't be seing me for another 3 weeks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I know that break's simon's heart lol.
Old 05-01-2004, 02:09 AM

I know that break's simon's heart lol.

That's okay mate, our running feud only sidetracked me from more important business.

I don't think the leaderboard has been posted - must be because they are embarrassed that an amateur like myself is top. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Simon
Old 05-01-2004, 03:52 AM

Hey Tim,

First, Congrats on winning the US game [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. I'm starting to think maybe we should give up the idea about the USA vs. Europe (and rest of the world - [ROW]) game, since it's simply going to be nothing but a complete embarrassment for the Americans, and I really like these guys...

As for the AA hand - if you made your opponent fold his rockets, you definitely played it great, IMO. But I still think Skabbom's AA fold is bad. It's correct ONLY if both of his assesments are right: A. you have Ax of diamonds, AND, B. You will check-raise all-in with the nut-flush.

I think that in the far greater majority of the time, his opponent (here it's you) will call a PF raise, and then check-raise all-in on this specific flop, with hands that AA beat. Yes, he'll face KK or the nut-flush a few times, but overall, if he's folding here, it's absolutely minus EV in my view.

I don't think that looking at it as if he "only" gave 13% of advantage is the best way. He actually gave up EV of about +800 chips, in this specific pot. This is huge (I'm assuming you had about 1500T each in the start of the hand. You didn't specify).

There's also something to say about not playing it more aggressive on the flop to begin with, after it's checked to him. On such a dangarous flop, I would seriously consider pushing to begin with, with AA. Then, YOU will be facing a tough decision, since it's marginally -EV call for you, and not the nicest spot.

But I'd really like to read some more opinions on this hand. It is a very interesting one, and I think it should be discussed thoroughly.