Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Resolution Question

Sorry if this has been answered before I couldn't find it.
I right click on my desktop and go to settings.
I see the bar that says "screen resolution" and if I slide it all the way to the right it says "1600 x 1200 pixels".
However, when I click "apply" my screen goes black and then it goes back to my previous resolution of 1024 x 768.
So my question is - can my computer actually handle 1600 x 1200? Is there something I'm missing?
Thanks in advance for any helpful response.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Resolution Question

Odds are it's the monitor that doesn't support that kind of resolution at a refresh rate that won't instantly give you a hang over headache. You should have a sticker on the back of the monitor that will tell you your maxium resolution.

Otherwise you are probably correct in assuming it is the computer that is to blame. You would then need to pick up a new video card to fix the problem.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:46 PM

To clarify - my computer is a Gateway450 laptop. I see no stickers or anything else on the outside of the computer stating my max resolution.

The reason I am confused is that on any other computer I have seen that does not have 1600 x 1200 capabilities, the bar under the settings tab just doesnt go that high, whereas on mine it does go up to 1600 x 1200, it just wont apply the setting.
Is it possible that a new video card would do give me the 1600 x 1200?
Old 09-24-2005, 08:51 PM

my guess is that it's the monitor actually that just doesn't go that high.
obviously it needs to have enough pixels to be able to support 1600x1200.

It is possible that the computer is giving you the option of 1600x1200 even though the monitor doesn't support it.

I had this happen on my old laptop all the time.
I would have the option to set it to 1600x1200...even though it's max-res was 1400x1050.

So...you need to KNOW that this monitor can actually DO 1600x1200 before blaming it on the computer.

[ QUOTE ]
I see no stickers or anything else on the outside of the computer stating my max resolution.

[/ QUOTE ]

He told you to look at the monitor...not the computer.

What kind of monitor is it? If there's no sticker perhaps you can just look up the model on the internet and find it's resolution capabilities.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:22 PM

You display options might be set to show modes the monitor does not support. Check your display options in Windows under the Settings > Advanced > monitor tab and see if the 'Hide modes the monitor can't display' is checked.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:23 PM

First of all, thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

I see no stickers or anything else on the outside of the computer stating my max resolution.

He told you to look at the monitor...not the computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for the confusion. There are no stickers with resolution info on any part of my laptop; monitor or computer.

[ QUOTE ]
I had this happen on my old laptop all the time.
I would have the option to set it to 1600x1200...even though it's max-res was 1400x1050.

[/ QUOTE ]
This sounds like whats happening w/ my laptop. If I want 1600x1200 do I just have to get a new monitor?
Old 09-24-2005, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You display options might be set to show modes the monitor does not support. Check your display options in Windows under the Settings > Advanced > monitor tab and see if the 'Hide modes the monitor can't display' is checked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you're exactly right. However it wont let me check that box. WTF?
Old 09-24-2005, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you're exactly right. However it wont let me check that box. WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

Really, I have never heard of that?? Weird. Is it grayed out or something?
Old 09-24-2005, 10:17 PM

Yep, its gray.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:25 PM

sounds like the vid card can do it. You probably can't check the "disable modes" box because you don't have the drivers for the monitor. If the comp doesn't know what the monitor is it can't figure out what it can display.

GL