Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2003, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Baseball musical chairs? Benitez to Mariners for Nelson.

I meant better than any current mariner (moyer included).

Dreifort never put it together. Freddy has. He has shown complete brilliance at times. He's done the opposite too, to be sure. But at least he's done something with his great stuff (unlike the Dreiforts of the world).

J
Old 08-07-2003, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would think Halliday has the inside track on the Cy Young award.

[/ QUOTE ]

Esteban Loaiza has a huge lead on the field in the Cy Young race. His ERA is more than a full point better than both Halladay and Moyer.

Old 08-07-2003, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think he's done. He's a head case, for sure, but he's got a 95 plus fastball and a wicked curveball to go along with it. One more effective pitch and he could dominate. He needs to grow up and pitch smart. The fork is a tad premature, I think. Take a look at Moyer's numbers before and after his current stint with the M's. Would you have forked him too? 120-54 over 8 years. 59-75 over the prior 9 years. Garcia needs to learn how to pitch. When he does, he'll be a Clemens type. I'd keep him, no question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Moyer's a complete freak. How he continues to consistently get major leaguers out throwing the 70mph cheese that he slings up there just baffles me. I can't really think of many other Moyer-type pitchers out there, pitchers that never really had amazing stuff, but managed to turn into a great pitcher later. Anyway, perhaps I'm just bitter that Garcia killed my fantasy team in all of his starts this year, and I genuinely do hope he turns it around, but I'm doubtful whether he can.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:08 PM

From the ESPN Seattle webpage:

"If RHP Freddy Garcia continues to falter, he may be moved out of the rotation, the Seattle Time reported. "I don't think the minor leagues are a viable option," pitching coach Bryan Price told the newspaper. "I think you can look at the bullpen as a very temporary alternative. It can clear his mind knowing that he has to get six outs and can see the finish line a little bit easier. … I'd rather see him (pitch better) as a starter, but he's got to show some improvement."

Garcia has been too inconsistent this year - I think Seattle needs to do something with him. He has been a liability to the mariners and even more so now, because the AL race is going to be very tight. They should have sent him down to the minors earlier in the year.

-Zeno
Old 08-07-2003, 02:26 PM

Mariners schedule last two weeks of season:

Mon. 15 at Texas 8:05 PM FxNW Arlington
Tue. 16 at Texas 8:05 PM FxNW Arlington
Wed. 17 at Texas 8:05 PM FxNW Arlington
Thu. 18 at Texas 2:05 PM FxNW Arlington

Fri. 19 at Oakland 10:05 PM FxNW Network Coliseum
Sat. 20 at Oakland 4:05 PM Network Coliseum
Sun. 21 at Oakland 4:05 PM KSTW Network Coliseum

Mon. 22 at Anaheim 10:05 PM FxNW Edison Field
Tue. 23 at Anaheim 10:05 PM FxNW Edison Field
Wed. 24 at Anaheim 4:05 PM Edison Field

Fri. 26 Oakland 10:05 PM FxNW SAFECO
Sat. 27 Oakland 4:05 PM FxNW SAFECO
Sun. 28 Oakland 4:05 PM FxNW SAFECO

My take is that the Mainers must have a 3-4 game lead on Oakland at the September 15 mark. Then they have a good chance of wining the AL West. If they don't it will be uphill all the way and they (hopefully) get the wildcard. It will be tight - But maintaing a lead will be key. A pox on Bill Beane and his damn Oakland Team. I hope they go into a nosedive. Not likely I know.

If it comes down to the last series in Seattle they will be some great games to see.

-Zeno

Old 08-07-2003, 03:33 PM

In an article in the Seattle Times, Moyer said there are situations where he needs to throw balls that look like strikes and stikes that look like balls. He is an enigma. It is fun to watch the big league hitters swing over the top of his curveball. The unfair thing is that teams look at Moyer for 7 or 8 innings, then get Rafael Soriano and his 95 mph stuff. Rumour has it that Soriano hit 101 in his last appearance. Radio ball--you can hear it, but you can't see it.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In an article in the Seattle Times, Moyer said there are situations where he needs to throw balls that look like strikes and stikes that look like balls. He is an enigma. It is fun to watch the big league hitters swing over the top of his curveball. The unfair thing is that teams look at Moyer for 7 or 8 innings, then get Rafael Soriano and his 95 mph stuff. Rumour has it that Soriano hit 101 in his last appearance. Radio ball--you can hear it, but you can't see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, for some reason watching Moyer reminds of that Bugs Bunny baseball cartoon where Bugs throws balls that stop in mid-air 2 or 3 times before getting to the plate. As for Soriano, since we're on the subject of 'stuff', his stuff is flat out filthy. His fastball, like you said, keeps getting faster and faster, and his slider is damn near unhittable. Plus he has that Rivera/Prior easy throwing motion, so the pitch seems to get to home plate even faster. I can't wait to see how this guy turns out.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:47 PM

Lines from Friday's Mariners-Yankees game:

Nelson (NY): 1 IP, 0 ER, 0 H, 0 BB, 3 K

Benitez (SEA): 1 IP, 1 ER, 2 H, 0 BB, 2K
Old 08-08-2003, 11:16 PM

The score was 8-7 Yankees at the time. So the 8th inning both pitchers pitched was crucial. Especially with Rivera struggling this week; getting him a 2-run lead made things a lot easier for him, one would think.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:39 AM

Nelson was great.

Benitez so-so bad, he is psychologically beat in New York.