Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2004, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Is anyone wasting their time watching this funeral?

[ QUOTE ]
Let the family mourn, but why impose it on the rest of us?

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe me when I tell you that there are alternatives to FoxNews on television. I don't think ESPN is carrying the funeral for instance.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was merely commenting on the difference in attention between the Nixon and Reagan deaths. I didn't comment on what I thought of the Reagan coverage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found your response the one coming closest to answering my original question. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I replied to your message only because it was the last one posted.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When Richard Nixon died a few years ago, he got maybe a day of news coverage, but barely a peep outside of that. I realize he was disgraced, but he was just as important a political figure as Reagan. He got neither a state funeral, nor a day of mourning, but also almost zippo news coverage compared to Reagan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two reasons.

One, Nixon died in 1994, and the cable news explosion that we're seeing now hadn't happened yet. He did get a lot of coverage in the print media and the main networks, as I remember.

Two, I heard the state funeral topic addressed on 60 Minutes, and they said that Nixon's family chose to not have the viewings and ceremonies that Reagan is having.

In the end I do think that the way Nixon left office has something to do with it. Political views aside, and I'm not saying whether this is right or wrong, but many Americans consider Reagan one of our great Presidents, so I think there is a lot of interest in this weeks' proceedings.

As for you ChristinaB, if your point of your post was to complain about the abundance of media coverage for this event, and were hypothesizing that it's overkill, I think your point could have been better made by using the Lacey Peterson murder, Jon-Benet Ramsey, Kobe's rape case, or many others as examples I would have completely agreed with you on.

Reagan's funeral will be in the news for a week, and then it will fade away. Deal with it. The Peterson trial is just getting going, and Kobe's hasn't even started yet....
Old 06-10-2004, 07:41 PM

1) it's not on every channel

2) this is SOP whenever a President dies, we just haven't seen it in over 30 years because there was no State funeral for Nixon since he left office in disgrace.

3) Lighten up. This isn't a partisan exercise.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:45 PM

Hey, Christina. The above response was from perhaps the most polite and even-handed person on the board. Maybe that indicates exactly how far off base your snobbery really is.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I ask a question about media overload and whether you are falling for it, and I get a bunch of responses about respecting the dead.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, in your subject line you said" Is anyone waisting there time" which is imply that Reagan essentialy deserves a passing mention, because anything other than is a waste. Then you referred to him as "That old geezer". You were taking pot shots at a dead man, a dead president at that. No one wants to here this type of speak about a dead president, or for that matter about anyone who just died. Its disrepectful. You can try to dance around your own words, but they speak for themselves.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:57 PM

One can sympathize with his family, just as one sympathizes with the family of an Iraqi killed in Baghdad, a Nicaraguan killed in Nicaragua, a murderer executed in Texas, or ...

I however, dont get the respect in death bit. Either one respects him or one does not. The fact that he just died matters not one whit. I did not get funeral coverage when Di, Nixon, or anyone else died. It is one event that equalizes us all.

To take it a step further, when Saddam kicks the bucket some will show their respects for the man and others will spit on his grave. I doubt very much if Bush, you or I will offer condolences to his family, who no doubt are feeling the same sorrow being felt by Reagan's family.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:52 PM

One can also simply turn the channel and not go to the trouble of complaining about the respectful coverage on a message board.

Jimbo
Old 06-11-2004, 01:30 AM

Yeah, but if this causes me to miss Jerry Springer and the incestuous dwarf lesbians ......
Old 06-11-2004, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How unimportant a use of the airwaves and cable lines. Other than seeing it in passing, is anyone sitting down and watching?

[/ QUOTE ]

Too tell you the truth I have watched a sec. of it. Not on purpose just been workin' too hard lately. I will say the I can't liston to Rush at all the week. I kinda liked reagan and I can't liston to Rush when I agree with him.