Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 11:42 AM

Default To those familiar with law school/the admissions process...

It's the summer before my senior year in college, and this means that in the next few months I'm going to begin applying to law schools. Just a little background into my numbers before I ask any questions: I currently have a 4.0 GPA at a small private liberal arts school. I just got my lsat score back and scored a 161 (meh, I should of done a bit better, but it's not horrible).

Anyways, I have started to do some research, and am slowly gaining info on which schools might be A) long shots (but worthwile for me to take a shot at); B) Good fits (schools I would have a pretty good chance of getting into); and C) some safe bets just in case. The point of this post isn't for you guys to simply recommend which schools I should be applying to, although if you have any suggestions, they are certainly welcome. But without knowing more about myself and my goals, I wouldn't expect you to be able to compile a solid list of recommendations.

Rather, I have a few other questions I am just curious about: To those who share (or know people with) similar numbers, where did you/they apply? Where did you get accepted? Where did you end up going? Do you think you made any mistakes along the way (ie. applied to too many schools out of your league, should have applied to some better schools, should have chosen a different school, etc.). To anyone else, do you feel your law school was overrated/underrated? Are there schools that maybe don't have excellent reputations, but are actually excellent schools? Are there schools with great reps that probably don't deserve the high rankings?

Is there anything else you wish you knew when you were applying to law school that you know now? And any other tips/hints you might have.

Anyways, sorry for the long-winded post. I appreciate any input you guys are willing to give on this issue. I know a bunch of you have been in my position and probably have some excellent advice.

Thanks
Old 06-29-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Re: To those familiar with law school/the admissions process...

Princeton review Law school site
Old 06-29-2005, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, and believe me, I'm not using OOT as a substitute for doing real research. However, there might be opinions that don't show up in the books that might be worthwile.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, and believe me, I'm not using OOT as a substitute for doing real research. However, there might be opinions that don't show up in the books that might be worthwile.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check the message board
Old 06-29-2005, 11:52 AM

I will, thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2005, 12:00 PM

An ex-girlfriend of mine from undergrad applied to schools this last year, had similar grades/scores as you, and got accpeted to the fringe top 10 schools (Cal, UCLA, Northwestern, Georgetown).
Old 06-29-2005, 12:05 PM

OK, I got 165 (93rd percentile) on the LSAT and my GPA was 3.62. I applied to Boyd School of Law in Las Vegas (UNLV) and not to any other school. I had a full time job and family in Vegas that I didn't want to leave. (I am a part-time student).

Also, well, I knew I'd get in (no stress, less money) and since I did my undergrad there, I was familar with the campus.

That said, I think it's a great school, but I think I personally would have taken my education more seriously if I had left town. See, I'm just getting average grades now and it's kinda bumming me out.

Also, I applied late (yeah, I procrastinate a lot) so I missed out on some good scholarships. And, if I had gone to another school, I might have gotten nearly a full ride just from my LSAT score. Alas, the deed is done and I'm plugging through to the end.

Basically, I'm just sayiing there are many considerations and you shouldn't rush into it.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-29-2005, 12:11 PM

Come on, be honest now. You're not really a marsupial, are you?
Old 06-29-2005, 12:20 PM

It does help and thanks for responding. Yeah, I'm not planning on rushing anything, and you're right--there is very much to consider. This is why I'm posting here: I'm skeptical about some of the "rankings" and I think there is more to consider beyond just what the princeton review or usnews have to say. That is not to discount their rankings, but getting different perspectives is important too. Anyways, I appreciate your input, but honestly I don't think moving to vegas is a good idea for me [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2005, 12:29 PM

background: i went to a small, specialized school in ny that is very academically challenging. when i went there no one i knew (including faculty) could remember anyone granduating with a 4.0. the valedictorian of my class graduated with a 3.9 or 3.95 and it was very impressive. i graduated with a 3.8something (magna cum laude), easily equivalent to a 4.0 at a more "normal" school. i think i got a 164 on my lsat. so, i think i fit your criteria for people with similar stats. now to your questions...

[ QUOTE ]
Rather, I have a few other questions I am just curious about: To those who share (or know people with) similar numbers, where did you/they apply?

[/ QUOTE ]

preface: i wanted to try somewhere outside the northeast, and the southeast was strictly out of the question. hence my relative lack of application to northeast schools. here's where i applied:

harvard
yale (joint law degree and forestry masters)
usc
univ of colorado
univ of hawaii (it's <2 miles from waikiki beach!)
lewis & clark (i thought i might want to do environmental law)
berkeley

[ QUOTE ]
Where did you get accepted?

[/ QUOTE ]

univ of hawaii
univ of colorado
lewis & clark
yale graduate school, but not law school
waitlisted at usc and i told them not to bother

[ QUOTE ]
Where did you end up going?

[/ QUOTE ]

univ of colorado

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think you made any mistakes along the way (ie. applied to too many schools out of your league, should have applied to some better schools, should have chosen a different school, etc.).

[/ QUOTE ]

i think i should have stayed in the northeast, and maybe even stayed in ny.

[ QUOTE ]
To anyone else, do you feel your law school was overrated/underrated?

[/ QUOTE ]

univ. of colorado is definitely underrated because its rank got shot by the crappy building and library. the buildings were just horrible. but, construction is underway on entirely new facilities, and it's going to be sweet. expect it to move up a few spots once that's done, which i think is going to be next summer.

[ QUOTE ]
Are there schools that maybe don't have excellent reputations, but are actually excellent schools?

[/ QUOTE ]

see my next answer. there are a lot of great state schools that don't necessarily get adequate props.

[ QUOTE ]
Are there schools with great reps that probably don't deserve the high rankings?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think a lot of the non-top 20 expensive private schools simply aren't worth it. (meaning, if you are paying for law school yourself like me, the cost simply isn't worth it...you can do as good or better for less money.)

[ QUOTE ]
And any other tips/hints you might have.

[/ QUOTE ]

do not discount the FACT that the majority of law school graduates practice in the area where they went to law school. also once you are admitted, it's a big pain to move to another state because you will need to get admitted in that state. when planning your law school applications, seriously consider this.