Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: F1 USA GP

Old 06-23-2005, 12:41 PM

Interesting Interview with Mosley president of Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile:

Should you not have just forgotten about the rules and put on a show for the fans?

"You cannot do that if you wish to remain a sport. Formula One is a sport which entertains. It is not entertainment disguised as sport. But even more importantly Formula One is a dangerous activity and it would be most unwise to make fundamental changes to a circuit without following tried and tested procedures. What happened was bad, but it can be put right. This is not true of a fatality."

Hmmm...... So he admits he isn't flexible.

Also:

who travelled long distances and spent a lot of money to see a race with only six cars?

"My personal view, and it is only my personal view, is that Michelin should offer to compensate the fans on a fair basis and ask the Indianapolis Motor Speedway to coordinate this. Then Tony George and Bernie Ecclestone should jointly announce that the US Grand Prix will take place at Indianapolis in 2006 and that anyone who had a ticket this year would be entitled to the same ticket free-of-charge next year. But I emphasise, that’s just my personal view."

interesting side note about the chicane:

Is this why Ferrari objected?
"No, Ferrari had nothing whatever to do with the decision. They were never consulted. Ferrari, Jordan and Minardi, as the Bridgestone teams, were not involved."

Looks like Ferrari is 100% off the hook.

On the other hand some of his comments about michelin give me pause for accuracy reasons

web page
Old 06-23-2005, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They also mentioned that the track has recently been relayed and bridstone had an advantage as they had data from I think one of the Indy races there (or formula ford or somthing) whixh is why teir tyres were ready for the course.

[/ QUOTE ]

They have a deal with Firestone, the supplier of tires for the IRL. With the multiple changes to the racing surface since last year and the fact this is the only high speed banked turn in F1 it gave Bridgestone a huge advantage in being able to prepare a tire for the conditions. Testing was cancelled more than once this year at Indy because of track conditions that required a lot of work.