Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 08:24 AM

Default Re: Mecca 20-40

[ QUOTE ]
I would not be at all surprised if he showed A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] have to be possibilities too.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:16 AM

Is it common for people at 20/40 NL to think 42:58 = 50:50?
Old 06-13-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it common for people at 20/40 NL to think 42:58 = 50:50?

[/ QUOTE ]

for my bankroll's sake, I hope so!
Old 06-13-2005, 02:35 PM

What I meant was that people call QQ vs AK a coin flip preflop and the odds between that hand and my hand are pretty much the same. I know that the pot is laying me more and it's not exactly 50:50. Not even close. I'm almost 3:2. Anyhow, I just put it as a coin flip because when I saw the odds on Cardplayer and compared it to QQ vs AK, it was pretty much the same and I had a feeling it would be.

Yes, I wasn't bankrolled for this game when I played. I took a shot. If I was scared at all, I wouldn't have called. But I wasn't. So I called. I lost. I posted here. I thank you for the responses.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:16 AM

Default My own experiences...

If you are playing on short money, run it as many times as you can, it lowers your variance.

I played at the Mecca in the 20/40, 25/50, 40/80, 50/100 on short money and took a mental note of all the players that would make deals and others that did not.

It saved my bacon plenty of times and allowed me to build up my bankroll.

From my experience, it seems that players that have a lot of money and no fear are less apt to run it.

For instance, those that play in that game that won't ever run the deck, Bobby Hoff, Phil Laak, Fisherman Greg, etc.

Now that I am a little longer in the tooth when playing these games, I see their point of view, if I had a healthy 6 figure bankroll, running the deck for a 10k or larger pot is not really worth it.

One session of 50/100, I had half of my case money on the table. Bobby, not Hoff but tournament Bobby, and I got involved in a huge pot when I flopped middle set and he had a gutshot straight flush draw. We ran it 3 times, he won the first and I took the later 2.

Fast forward a while later in that session, Vinny Vinh and I got all the money in on the flop, I had bottom set and he had the OESFD. I had never played no limit with Vinny prior to this hand, only limit holdem and omaha/8. I asked if he wanted to run it, he said no and I got lucky and my set held up.

No big deal just another day of cards. On the drive home, I realized that if I didn't run my other hand with Bobby, I never would have been around for that hand against Vinny.

BTW, don't listen to these fools about taking a shot in the bigger games, if you don't have heart when playing poker, you will never truly be a poker player, just another person playing poker.

Not so sure if we crossed paths, I played 20/40 on Saturday for a bit before heading out to Vegas.

I don't know when I will be back in LA to play at the Mecca, but next time you run into any Asian guy in his late 20's introduce yourself as Stanky. I am sure you will have a better chance of your set holding up than randomly introducing yourself to me, btw, my name is Jasper.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:32 PM

Default Re: My own experiences...

The Mecca is in LA? Where?
Old 06-14-2005, 12:37 PM

i assume commerce from the hoff references, but i didnt hear anyone calling it that when i was there last week...
Old 06-14-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i assume commerce from the hoff references, but i didnt hear anyone calling it that when i was there last week...

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe mr. jkinetic coined that very apt term.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had half of my case money on the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is awesome. what was your standard buyin for 50/100?
Old 06-14-2005, 02:52 PM

does that game run often? i think 20/40 NL was the biggest game going when i was there, watching 50/100 would be fun :-)