Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 12:25 AM

Default still freezing up when 8-tabling

i posted a week or two ago about how my computer was freezing up during an 8-table session almost every time. i play STTs, so this is obviously a huge problem. i can't imagine i have a hardware deficiency...specs:

radeon x800 512MB VRAM (dual DVI)
P4 2.8GHz
1GB RAM
2 Dell 2001FPs

i'll be able to play for about a half hour, then it totally freezes up on me, and i have to wait a good few minutes before the tables pop back up (this usually involves minimizing them all first [for some reason that works].).

this happens even if i have absolutely no other software running. i've run virus, spyware, and other diagnostics, and defragged the HD. Anyone have any suggestions at all? i'm at my wit's end.

thanks a lot
Old 08-18-2005, 06:32 AM

Default Re: still freezing up when 8-tabling

wireless internet? i had a similar problem on a crappy laptop with a crappy wireless card.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:31 AM

nope. i'm hardwired right into that bitch.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i posted a week or two ago about how my computer was freezing up during an 8-table session almost every time. i play STTs, so this is obviously a huge problem. i can't imagine i have a hardware deficiency...specs:

radeon x800 512MB VRAM (dual DVI)
P4 2.8GHz
1GB RAM
2 Dell 2001FPs

i'll be able to play for about a half hour, then it totally freezes up on me, and i have to wait a good few minutes before the tables pop back up (this usually involves minimizing them all first [for some reason that works].).

this happens even if i have absolutely no other software running. i've run virus, spyware, and other diagnostics, and defragged the HD. Anyone have any suggestions at all? i'm at my wit's end.

thanks a lot

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember suggesting it was due to the HD running like crazy as it read from PT to update the stats on your tables. It really is extremely like to be the problem, unless you've tried shutting down PT and found the problem to persist. If it's a PT issue, I can only think of two possible solutions

- Make sure you've upgraded the database to the new and faster Postgresql format. Both PokerAce and Gametime+ support it BTW, though you'll need to do some tinkering in both PT and the overlay program to be sure it is using it, otherwise it may still be accessing the older base.

- Try asking for assistance at the PT forums, since they will undoubtedly have more ideas.

Albert
Old 08-18-2005, 09:45 AM

yeah, hey albert. that was me. i took your advice and tried playing all of my sngs with out PT running (without ANYTHING running, not even firewall), and still, same problem (although it took more time to freeze). ARRGH!

and thanks again for the advice.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, hey albert. that was me. i took your advice and tried playing all of my sngs with out PT running (without ANYTHING running, not even firewall), and still, same problem (although it took more time to freeze). ARRGH!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, in that case, the words 'Memory Leak' are pretty much screaming here. The issue is what program is causing the memory leak. There aren't 20 ways about this, so my suggestion is this:

When you start the multi-tabling, and already have them at least on-screen, when the computer starts to become sluggish and unresponsive, before it freezes, start up Windows Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del or right-click on the taskbar at the bottom, and select Task Manager). At the top, go to the second tab 'Processes' and see what is hogging the most memory. I'd be certain I had the latest video drivers installed BTW.

Albert
Old 08-18-2005, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

good call. i'll report back tonight when i try that.

Ok, in that case, the words 'Memory Leak' are pretty much screaming here. The issue is what program is causing the memory leak. There aren't 20 ways about this, so my suggestion is this:

When you start the multi-tabling, and already have them at least on-screen, when the computer starts to become sluggish and unresponsive, before it freezes, start up Windows Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del or right-click on the taskbar at the bottom, and select Task Manager). At the top, go to the second tab 'Processes' and see what is hogging the most memory. I'd be certain I had the latest video drivers installed BTW.

Albert

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-18-2005, 02:19 PM

I agree with your suggestion Albert. It might also help to go to downloads.com and find a simple Ram-Free program. These are plentiful and many are free. I use one on my home PC and it alleviates the memory leakage problem suggested by Albert.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:13 PM

What OS are you running?
Old 08-18-2005, 04:37 PM

Windows XP Pro