Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2004, 07:15 AM

Default Re: What\'s the best chair?

I had a very comfortable chair (think feeling when you first sit down in it), that after sitting in it 40-50 hours per week for a month starting giving me serious back problems.

I've had my Aeron for the last 5 months, spending 40-50 hours sitting in it. Not one hint of a back problem, and very, very comfortable.

Too bad there aren't any more dot com's going bust, you used to be able to get them at auction for <$100 a pop. Still worth the $700 or so investment IMO. Can't speak for the alternatives.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:17 AM

The best type of chair that I have has a hole cut through the middle about the diamater of a soccer ball, this way I don't even have to get up to use the bathroom during a crucial point in a hand while multitabling.

I also have a 6 gallon water jug placed directly underneath with the top cut off.

I'm trying almost anything now to get my BB/100 up.

This chair is of course custom built by yours truly...but you have to understand that my father was a mason so I don't really have the carpenters touch.... but it gets the job done
Old 10-31-2004, 02:31 PM

Not very sexy, but I just got one of these at OfficeMax. Only $60 and I can't believe what it's done for my back! It really forces you to sit *correctly*....feels a little funky at first, but does the job on the cheap.

I don't know if it's comfortable enough to sit in for loooong hours though. My longest is about 4-5 hours with couple hours break.

Old 10-31-2004, 04:14 PM

i don't get it, where do you put your ass in this thing?
Old 10-31-2004, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't get it, where do you put your ass in this thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

On the upper pad, and your knees on the lower pad.
http://www.sit4less.com/kneeling_chair/index.html
Old 10-31-2004, 05:06 PM

I've got the Aeron. You spend like 20 minutes when you first get it, adjusting every minute setting, to make it feel perfect. Then it kicks ass.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:15 PM

I've had 2 Aerons so far. I got both from a .com startup that went bust (remember urbanfetch.com? I have the CFO's chair - just $300 and only used for 6 months!). I love them!

There is a strange side effect to the Aeron, you must vacume and dust under the chair along the molded plastic lines of the seat and back. Because the seating material is mesh, tiny particles of dust from your clothing accumulate quickly.

The major plus of an Aeron is that your bum and back never get hot, you can sit down for hours. And they are fantastic for your back (if you sit in it correctly). Lastly, if you are a design nut (like I am - www.city-magazine.com) then you would know that Herman Miller is one of the most important industrial design and furnature firms in American History. The Aeron is just their latest in a long line of their office classics that become so iconic that they eventually move into the home. Remember Charles & Ray Eames? They sold their products through Herman Miller. The origional Eames chair was a Herman Miller product!

PS: I've sat in the Mirra Chairs, they are stunning... but I prefer the Aeron.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2004, 08:02 PM

My Aeron is in my room at home, so the home invasion has begun!
Old 11-01-2004, 01:41 AM

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback. After your comments, I've narrowed down my choices to Herman Miller's Aeron, Humanscale's Freedom, and Kimball's Skye. Unfortunately, whichever one I choose will cost me a significant amount of change. While I've tested the Aeron before, I haven't tested the others yet. I'll let you know which one I select as soon as I make up my mind [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2004, 06:58 AM

Can someone explain to me why this Aeron chair is so expensive. Im not trying to sound like an idiot, but am genuinely curious. I was looking to get a new chair but i was just gonna get one for like ~150 at staples or something. If this chair is really that good, I might consider it.

Thanks,
Mark