Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2005, 03:46 AM

Default 42o and almost out of chips

Should I have called this? I had 470 chips after posting

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (4 handed) converter

UTG (t4595)
Button (t1730)
SB (t6105)
Hero (t1070)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t1730</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Final Pot: t1880

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
No showdown. Button wins t1880. </font>
Old 02-19-2005, 03:56 AM

Default Re: 42o and almost out of chips

Right now, you can do significant damage to Button's stack size and get third place.

More importantly, you only have 470 chips after posting. I don't think for a second before I call.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:19 AM

I guess I would have to call too. Bad luck getting that hand, I bet you wish you pushed UTG, huh.

Just remember you will get AQ off suit just as much as 4 2 off suit. You just got the short end of it, this time.

ALL-IN...BIG MONEY!!!!
Old 02-19-2005, 05:31 AM

Good fold. 42o is not a hand to be calling a raise with, no matter how small your stack. You will certainly improve next hand (32o is the only worse hand), and give someone else a chance to make a mistake.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:42 AM

Default I strongly disagree.

[ QUOTE ]
Good fold. 42o is not a hand to be calling a raise with, no matter how small your stack. You will certainly improve next hand (32o is the only worse hand), and give someone else a chance to make a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

He must call. 1st, his win% needs to be only 22.6% to make calling corrrect according to the ICM. His win% is definitely &gt;22.6% even with a hand as poor as 42o. 2nd, there are no other short stacks for him to outlast. 3rd, if he folds, he'll be shoring up the position of the 2nd shortest stack. 4th, if he folds, he will have 0 folding equity...and *the big stacks will not be able to give him the blinds* to keep the bubble going longer because he won't have enough chips to complete in the SB. 5th, though the stack placements will not be especially favorable if he wins the hand, he'll have enough chips to have a fair bit of FE.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:39 AM

Easy call.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:44 AM

Default Re: I strongly disagree.

I am not equipped to get into an ICM battle with you, and I looked it up, 42o is supposed to win 33.2% again any two random cards, although because the fold came from the button (raising two players, not one) we can assume that this hand is better than any two.

I am a big believer in surving on the bubble, by not calling with bad hands. I think that I am aggressive enough (even short-stacked) 3-handed that I have a great shot at winning once we get that 4th guy out of the way. My basic argument is this: You're going to have to gamble, no matter what. Wait for something better than 42o. With your way if he gambles with 42o and wins, he'll have 2440t (Which is why you think I'm wrong).

In my scenario, he'll fold this hand and post the next blind, which is 300t - leaving him with 170. If it folds to him, he will, hopefully have something better than 42o and put his last 170 against a true "any two" where, if he wins, he will have 940 and then two hands to wait for something to push with (still better than 42o).

If he does get a caller or a raiser when he's in the SB and pushes, then he will have 1240t (if the BB folds, 1410 if not).

If Hero goes Ilya's way and gambles with 42o, he'll have more chips to be more competitive the rest of the way. If Hero goes my way, he going to have to gamble, and it will take two winning hands to reach Ilya's chip total, but hopefully he'll be doing it with something better than 42o.

I would just rather take my chance with two hands better than 42o.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:56 AM

we can assume that this hand is better than any two.

I'd be interested in how much difference this makes for a reasonably wide range, if someone could be so kind, because you are less likely to be up against 54, 74, 92 etc which are included in the random hand calculations.

I have a feeling, although no actual idea, that it may not hurt you much.

Edit: 54 is a really bad example, but hopefully you get the idea [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Lori
Old 02-19-2005, 02:59 PM

Hi Lori,

It may make a difference to your win% but it doesn't change the ICM-correct action. For example, you have ICM-odds to call against AA-KK/AK (and it's not that close, 25.4% vs. 22.6%).
Old 02-19-2005, 03:04 PM

If we drop, say, 83(s)-43(s) and 82(s)-32(s), 42o becomes 32.1% to win, as compared to 33.2% against a random hand. So yeah, it doesn't make much of a difference.