Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 02:57 PM

Default $11 QQ over paired board + straight flush draw

I really don't like the way I played this hand but was wondering what you all thought specifically of the flop play after his raise. Do you ditch the hand right here?

If not, do you stay aggressive on the turn and bet into him? In hindsight, I *think* I should've C/F the turn, and my river call was horrible... but hey, this is a learning process.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

MP2 (t1830)
MP3 (t1490)
CO (t1460)
Button (t1530)
SB (t1480)
BB (t1500)
UTG (t1310)
Hero (t1360)
MP1 (t1540)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t60</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, SB calls t50, BB calls t40.

Flop: (t180) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t80</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t260</font>, SB folds, BB calls t180.

Turn: (t700) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t500</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t1180</font>, Hero calls t540 (All-In).
Old 11-16-2005, 06:21 PM

Default Re: $11 QQ over paired board + straight flush draw

You're stuck with newbie response, but nobody else said anything, so...
I'd raise to 80 pf, but that's probably a small thing.
I'd do the same as you on the flop, and the call scares me, but it's early and I've seen draws call pot-bets at this level. I probably would bet hard unless a 4 5 6 7 or [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] comes.
With the 2 on the turn, I'd probably push all in.

I say that now, but probably wouldn't a few weeks ago. I've been killed by so many draws latey, I'll overbet for protection. Sucks if you're already beat, but look at the time you saved on this table and move on to the next one ,-).

So, did he have you beat, or did he out-draw you?
Old 11-16-2005, 07:02 PM

I think you want to raise more on the flop making it more likely that he'd fold or push.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:16 PM

you have to bet more preflop.

You might want posters to comment the rest of the hand but I cant really post advice about a situation Im never in...because I actually bet more preflop.

Now lets suppose you bet 120 and he calls, suddenly the hand becomes easier to play because your oponent hand range is much smaller. Ok so he might have A6 or KK...but he will most likely have 99 or AJ.
Look you can actually put youre oponent on a hand range!!! In the spot you described above he might have A6, 88, 45s, 78o, whatever.( I think calling with a suited connector is a good play with those odds and blinds if youre playing 1 or 2 tables.)
Just my $0,02
Old 11-16-2005, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you have to bet more preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

3X BB raise is fine. Dont need to raise 6X BB with QQ on the Button, thats retarded thinking.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:26 PM

can you please explain to me why raising 3x the BB is better than 6x the BB, I already posted my reasoning please post yours.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:48 PM

At these stakes, early in the SnGs, many players are calling 3x with anything hoping to catch a flop. This is especially true of the blinds, as they are already invested. All 3x does is act as a pot sweetener.

These are the stakes I play and I would bet $100 to $120 everytime. $150 if there are limpers in front.

If that goes against HoH then so be it. The number that call $60 will be at least two. The pot odds continue to get better for the next caller with everyone that gets in. (obviously)

3 to 4x works to reduce field at 15/30 and above that then I bet about 3x.

After the flop I have to lead. Then figure out where I am.

All basically the same as the post above.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:24 AM

That's a really interesting question, that I'd love to hear others' thoughts on...

Preflop play in the $11s: Are 3xBB raises enough with JJ, QQ, KK, AA?
Old 11-17-2005, 11:27 AM

3XBB is fine, although I prefer 4 in these early levels. I guess 5 isn't *horrible* when you're out of position with a vulnerable hand like QQ or AK. But 3-4 is best. And 6 is ridiculous.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's a really interesting question, that I'd love to hear others' thoughts on...

Preflop play in the $11s: Are 3xBB raises enough with JJ, QQ, KK, AA?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is SO dependant on the situation. Simply, just raise enough so that you think you will get 1, maybe 2 callers max.

If you hold AA, with 4 limpers in front of you, you need to raise about 8xBB, by raising 3xBB, if one of the early limpers call, the rest will follow suit and you face a big multi-way pot, which is full of money already. Not good with AA.

If I believe my opponents are tight, I'll raise small. If they're loose, I'll raise as much as I think they'll call.