Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2004, 12:23 PM

Default Re: who would win in a fight

why was I not suprised when ray zee not only responded to this thread, but had a kick-ass answer as well.

you are my hero ray, for so many reasons.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i watched the lion win easily. probably because lions kill for their food all the time. bears mostly eat plants.

[/ QUOTE ]

One night my friend Bong and I watched a show on the Discovery Channel where they did a computer fight between a tiger and a lion. The lion won easily. The reason they gave was that a lion basically gets more practice in fighting. He travels in a pride and is constantly play fighting with the other lions everyday from chilhood and throughout adulthood. The male lions also fight each other for dominant positions in their pride. They do this constantly.

The tiger, on the other hand, is like the poker player whose religion is "table selection". This player (prefering to play only with live ones) never tries to step up against better opposition and thus fails to learn to play at a higher level. The tiger is basically an ambush artist who preys on weak animals. This is why he can't beat a lion who is a seasoned fighter used to fighting opponents that fight back.

The bear is even worse than a tiger. He only hunts for salmons and eats berries. He stands no chance against the lion.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:42 PM

if it was a steel cage wrestling match, the bear would win. If it was a street fight to the death, the lion would win. The reasons are fairly obvious.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:47 PM

"The bear is even worse than a tiger. He only hunts for salmons and eats berries. He stands no chance against the lion."

Hmmm... I take a martial art and spar a bit. I am pleased to know I would be able to beat a bear in a fight. None of that play dead crap for me from now on.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:05 PM

These were filmed?! I remember reading in Lame Deer's autobiography about some fights between dogs and bear cubs and a couple of other match ups back in the 20's but the ones you list are way more outrageous.

I know very little about kangaroos but I had heard that their boxing skills were over rated and that they would stop fighting if their opponent landed a blow.

I'm shocked that anyone would be stupid enough to fight an orangutan. In college I took a primate anthropology class and the professor once mentioned that a 60-80 lb primate (perhaps a macque?) was capable of ripping one of our limbs off. Orangutans are second only to chimpanzees in strength and viciousness (gorillas of course are not particularly confrontational).

Once, in a little gypsy circus I saw a "boxing match" between a bear and a human. The bear was muzzled and his claws were covered. It was a rather small bear. The bear stepped forward and swung its right foreleg and while the guy saw it coming and tried to block it, he was knocked of his feet. I guess bear style is particularly strong on the ground as the bear dropped to four feet and went for the mount. Probably looking for his favorite finishing move, disembowel and chew on the still living entrails. The guy panicked and literally crawled out of his pants trying to get away from that bear.

regards,

raisins
Old 11-30-2004, 03:22 PM

Some bears are much, much bigger than others(some only weight a few hundred pounts), and some bears ONLY hunt. Like polar bears. I'd give a polar bear the best chance, and believe it would be a good chance. Also, it would seem that whatever animal seizes the initiative or is already hyped up has a huge advantage.

I don't think these comparisons necessarily make all that much sense. That's kind of like saying, who will win in a boxing match, a guy with a fast jab or a guy with a killer right cross? You can have a million fights and still not come up with a definitive answer.

On the man versus tiger thing, there's a story about a guy...Yamaguchi I think his name was, founder of the Goju-Ryu style. Supposedly in the second world war he was thrown in a cage with a lion or tiger, instantly gave a huge kiai shriek that stunned the cat, and came up an punched it right in the head and killed it in one blow. I can believe the cat could have been stunned and startled by the shout, and overall disoriented just by the fact that a man was charging up to him(probably not something he would think of as particularly threatening), and I'm absolutely positive an extremely highly trained karate man could kill a lion or a tiger with one all-or-nothing, your-life-depends-on-it punch to the skull. I also don't think he would have ever had a chance to launch a second punch if he didn't kill or incapacitate the cat instantly -- I don't think there could really be any "fight" to speak of, only a slaughter of any human. That's probably exactly what Yamaguchi thought, and that's why he instantly took the offensive and made shock the focal point of his survival. Karate or no, he had no chance otherwise.

I also believe the story may just have been completely made up. It's from an old, extremely fun book of karate stories and history by Peter Urban, who actually did train with Yamaguchi, as I recall, back in the 40's or 50's. Either way, it makes a great story, and probably illustrated just about the only way a man would have any chance at all.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:13 PM

Hey Ray-
Do you recall what type of bear it was? I would guess a black bear- much easier to come capture and deal with.
I think a Polar bear would be a much different story.
If the lion took down a Grizzly i would be super duper impressed, as opposed to just impressed.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:49 PM

That's the way I saw it. Grizzly can take down moose, and it's not hard for them, which are bigger than most animals lions often need a whole pack to take down. And the bigger bears can literally tear open the ribcage of their prey with a single swipe, and are enormous compared to lions. A big bear could probably take quite a few swipes from a lion, especially with their thick coats, but just one solid hit from a big bear could be the end for the lion.

I don't think a standard black bear would be much of a threat, by comparison.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I take a martial art..

[/ QUOTE ]Which one, nicky?
Old 11-30-2004, 05:09 PM

I will bet it was a black bear, and not a grizzly or polar bear. Black bears are pretty much pussies with claws. You make a bunch of noise when you see one and they usually run away.

I would have to think that a grizzly bear or polar bear would beat the [censored] out of a lone lion. The sheer size is a huge advantage, not to mention once that bear stands up on its back legs, that lion is shitting its self. You can take that to the bank.