Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 06:20 PM

Default First Hand Problem

Is this easy? I seem to run into this kind of problem a lot on the first hand of SNGs. All comments appreciated

Pacific $22, 6 players NL. First hand, so no reads. Blinds are 10/20. All players with 1000 chips.

3 folds to Hero on the button with K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero raises to 40 , SB folds, BB calls.

(90) Flop T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB Checks, Hero bets 75, BB raises to 250,
Hero ???

Is your advice different if Hero holds A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ?
Old 06-16-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Re: First Hand Problem

Fold preflop. If you don't do that, raise more preflop. If you don't do that, fold to the raise.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop. If you don't do that, raise more preflop. If you don't do that, fold to the raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

in a 10 player table, it's crucial to fold preflop. in a 6 player, i have no idea
Old 06-16-2005, 08:08 PM

Wow. I've never thought of KTo as that weak from the button against 5 others. I know the preflop raise was too weak. I guess this hand demonstrates why.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:11 PM

It's not that weak. You've got to play poker sometime, and raising KTo on the button is playing poker. No min-raises though.

The flop bet is pretty standard, but BB's raise puts you in a tough spot. My postflop play sucks, but I normally fold here (I hope), unless my opponents really, really suck, which I hear they do over at Pacific.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:51 PM

Wow, good to know I'm not alone at Pacific. (It had never occurred to me how appropriate it is that the site named after an ocean has so many fish.)

I agree with the consensus here: bigger PFR or just fold it. Fold to the flop raise unless you have a read on the raiser.