Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2004, 12:21 PM

Default Re: Troubling Remark

[ QUOTE ]
it is difficult to get a handle on these Internet players, as you all know...reading is nearly non-existent.

You are not doing it right if you believe that. At the end of online tourneys I often have such good reads on the players that I can almost see their cards or at last put them on a definate set of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you. However, and perhaps I am posting this in the wrong section, I am referring to a larger tourney - not the sit and go's that most people refer to here. In this instance, and most others, players are constantly shifted around to different tables. It doesn't take me long to pick up on what type of player someone is, especially at a one table mini-tournament, which is what I think you guys are referring to as an SNG. However, when you get plopped down at a table, flop a great hand (but not the nuts), and have someone you've never seen before shove their entire digital stack at you, it's tough - especially when you've never seen them, and they've nver seen you.

Other than keeping detailed notes on players that you've seen before, and limiting your play to one or two table tournaments, I can't really imagine a way to guard against psychos - and I think I'll continue to make this type of fold in this situation unless I run up against someone I've seen before.

That being said, I've found online poker to be very lucrative - I think most above average players should be able to maintain a higher hourly rate than at a similar limit table in person. Plus, it's terribly convenient.