Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2004, 09:22 AM

Default Standard Read?

$30 + 3 2-table SNG on 'Stars last night. Blinds are 15/30, still 9-handed. I have 1930. I get Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 off the button.

Player to my left open raises to 120 (I have many notes on him. Let's just say his hand selection and overall play is sub-optimal). I reraise, making it 480 to go. Folded to the button who goes all-in for 1440, blinds fold, original raiser calls (button has him covered). Now it's back to me for an additional 960 with 3205 in the pot.

The button is an unknown to me. EP does not need a big pair or AK to make the initial raise or this call, but he likely has an A or a K.

Who folds and who calls?

Results later.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Standard Read?

Hiya Kurn,

Call. You have a good chance to take a commanding lead right out of the gate, and if you lose the hand, you still have ~600 to fight back with. They very likely hold some of each other's A or K outs, making your QQ an even bigger favorite.

Cris
Old 02-03-2004, 09:36 AM

Hi Kurn,

The button raise is real tough. I would fold here more than likely. I know it sounds wimpy, but without knowing anything about the button I would put him on AA or KK. This player is looking at an open raise and a 4x re-raise. About the only hand I would re-raise all in with is AA. I would even be worried about KK and maybe flat call to see if no A fell on the flop, then move all in.
Something else to consider is that you will get to see all the cards because of the all ins so you will have a much better read on the button the next time.

Pitcher
Old 02-03-2004, 11:24 AM

I think this is pretty close. I am leaning toward a fold because with blinds of 15-30 you still have a lot of play with 960.

I think making it 400 does the same job as 480 and potentially saves you 80 chips!

Ken Poklitar
Old 02-03-2004, 11:39 AM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob

If you had been the original raiser and got reraised, I think I would have called. In this case however, the button knows he is against at least 2 good hands, so I would give him the beneffit of the doubt and fold (also because the original raiser also called).
I know that many players would move-in here with AK or a medium pair (as the button); I see that every day, but against 2 opponents with possible overcards/overpairs, and considering that you have your original buy-in left and that it is only the second level, I would fold and learn something about the button's play. If you are wrong and would have won a big pot, you will still have the opportunity to play with a very reasonable stack. If in the other hand you lose and have less than 600 chips left, it is difficult to come back.

This is an interesting situation, I look forward to read the results.

Take care,
William
Old 02-03-2004, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's just say his hand selection and overall play is sub-optimal). I reraise, making it 480 to go. Folded to the button who goes all-in for 1440, blinds fold, original raiser calls (button has him covered).

[/ QUOTE ]

In addition to trying to build a pot, I assume the reason for your 480 raise was because you wanted to be able to get away from the hand. This looks like a great time to do so, although it's a fold I hate making.

At least there's some consolation in the original raiser being all-in, because you're guaranteed of a showdown and more information on what the button player will raise with in this situation.

Martin
Old 02-03-2004, 12:00 PM

Default RESULTS

The consensus seems to lean towards a fold. I wanted to make sure I wasn't being too results oriented.

The original EP raiser had K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
The button had: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

The flop hit none of us and I was down to 490 in chips.

The good news is, I got incredibly lucky, raising all-in 3 times between this point and the break, each time getting called by a hand that had me dominated, and each time sucking out (Q7s vs. QJs flopped a 7; 44 vs. AA, flopped a set; A7s vs. AJo, turned a 7) Which put me in position to hit the money, going out in 3rd when my 66 ran into QQ.

I may post the hand before the bust out hand where I hurt my chances to finish in the top two by not seeing the obvious.