Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2004, 09:39 AM

Default Re: JK Rowling announces completion of new Harry Potter novel

[ QUOTE ]
Yet for some reason I still have to watch them.... They are like crack. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's Hermione's hiney.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Great. Now you just caused that song to pop back into my head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Potter, Potter, Potter, Potter, Potter, Potter, Potter, Potter, Potter, Potter, Potter

[/ QUOTE ]

Weasely Weasely
Old 12-21-2004, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dynasty, I think you have a problem.

What's worse is that I own 2 Harry Potter DVD's and I don't even have any kids. I don't understand the whole Harry Potter thing. In the Chamber of Secrets of secrets the wizard sent the hat to save Potter. At first I thought the hat was an ingenious gift because it would allow Potter to navigate. The hat could tell Potter where to run and Potter wouldn't have to look the snake in the eyes (which would kill him). Instead, a sword magically appears in the hat and ......

Then there is the whole Dobby thing. The elf is a slave and is used and abused but as soon as it accidently gets a sock it starts kicking it's once abusive and very powerfull masters [explicative]. If the elf was so powerfull, why did it take all the abuse? WTF?

There is a huge lack of consistency in the Potter movies. It seems like whenever the story gets stuck something magical (and something we've never seen before) hops in at the last minute and saves the day. Yet for some reason I still have to watch them.... They are like crack.

[/ QUOTE ]
You need to read the books instead of watching the DVDs, first off.

Dobby is a house elf. The thing about house elves is that, although they are magical, they are bound to obey their owner. If they disobey, they physically punish themselves and feel horrible. The only way for them to leave is if their owner gives them a piece of clothing... hence the sock freeing Dobby.

The books are meant to be magical. If Rowling brings you to periodical dead ends, you have no idea what's going to happen next. Everybody knows that something magical will help Harry and his cronies out, but she uses circular techniques that bring everything to a close. Usually it's a piece of magic Harry learned earlier in the year and thought he'd never use that saves him.

Highly recommend reading the books for high EV (entertainment value). Very quick reads... and you don't even need to wait long for the next book to come out like the rest of us did! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2004, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no robes. But, a couple summers ago I went down to Barnes & Noble to buy Order of the Phoenix during the "Midnight Madness" party on the day of the release. I got a free pair of Harry Potter glasses (frames, no lenses) for showing up. I keep them on my bookshelf and am wearing them as I type this post.

:NERD:

[/ QUOTE ]

That's awesome.

I have not read the books yet, but I definitely like the way the movies are going. The third one was far and away better than the first two, which weren't bad, but also not great.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dobby is a house elf.

[/ QUOTE ]
You can tell he's not a field elf by his lighter color. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2004, 01:06 PM

I started reading the Harry Potter Series after the first two books were out. I was looking for soemthing to read to my son at bedtime and someone suggested these. I bought the first two in paperback and read them to myself. I then read them to my son. I then bought them on tape so we could listen to them on a long carride.

I have now read every book to myself, read the first four to my son and listened to all of them on tape, and repeatedly watched the first three movies. Without equivication listening to the books on tape has been the most enjoyable medium. The guy who reads the books on tape is absolutely amazing.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I have no robes. But, a couple summers ago I went down to Barnes & Noble to buy Order of the Phoenix during the "Midnight Madness" party on the day of the release. I got a free pair of Harry Potter glasses (frames, no lenses) for showing up. I keep them on my bookshelf and am wearing them as I type this post.

[/ QUOTE ]
I went too, but no glasses. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. Damn the shitty b&n's in washington.

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife and I drove by the B&N on 106th that night on our way to Borders in Bell Square- B&N was a freaking madhouse with a big ass line; Borders was almost empty. We walked in, went straight to the register, and were out in less than 2 minutes.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great. Now you just caused that song to pop back into my head.

Potter, Potter, Potter, Potter, Potter, Potter, Potter, Potter, Potter, Potter, Potter

Weasely Weasely

[/ QUOTE ]

Snaaaaaape, snaaaaaaaaaape,, o professor snaape

peace

john nickle
Old 12-21-2004, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My wife and I drove by the B&N on 106th that night on our way to Borders in Bell Square- B&N was a freaking madhouse with a big ass line; Borders was almost empty. We walked in, went straight to the register, and were out in less than 2 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh you [censored]. I was at the b & n on 156th in crossroads. I got a ticket at like 11 and went back at midnight (i didn't know i could get one earlier in the day, and i'd preordered it months in advance). I waited in like until about 12:45-1:00 before picking it up. I felt sorry for the parents who were picking them up for their kids. How long can you really let your kid read if you don't get the book until 1?

I guess i'll try borders this year.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:47 PM

How popular is Harry Potter?

Here's some anecdotal evidence. Within hours of the publication date (7/16/05) being announced, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince vaulted to the #1 bestseller on Amazon.com. The book isn't even going to be available for 7 months.

#1 Bestseller on Amazon