Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Turbo MTT would you push these types of hands late?

WSOP first 39 get $33 seat in qualifier I am about 50.

I have only played one other turbo and never got close until this one. How much do you need to loosen up and what stack to blind ratio would you loosen up a lot to include maybe any A or K?

Any help would be appreciated. thanks

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1200 (9 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">UTG+1 (t1351)</font>
Hero (t6475)
MP2 (t12430)
MP3 (t10195)
CO (t9922)
Button (t11263)
SB (t6795)
<font color="#C00000">BB (t13425)</font>
UTG (t10535)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t1276</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, BB calls t76.

would have doubled up and then some on that hand as luck would have it.

another hand later

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t2000 (9 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button (t13566)
Hero (t4100)
<font color="#C00000">BB (t15955)</font>
UTG (t13620)
<font color="#C00000">UTG+1 (t3727)</font>
MP1 (t10888)
MP2 (t15540)
MP3 (t14601)
CO (t7160)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t3627</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, BB calls t1627.

Can, and should you use something like SKlansky's system of going all in using that formula, or something like it, with those hands as outlined in TPFAP?
Old 04-13-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Turbo MTT would you push these types of hands late?

who do you have to blow to get someone to respond to your post?

I mean lets all keep replying to the Scottie post that is so much more helpful
Old 04-13-2005, 01:42 PM

I think you need to get away from being results oriented and make decisions based upon the mathematical probabilities. In both the hands you posted, you had very marginal holdings.

In hand one, although you would have made the nut flush, you had very poor position with so many players left to act. If you had the button, or better yet, the BB, it might be a good call push as you had the shorty covered and he could be pushing with a wide range of hands.

In hand two, I'm guessing you would have hit something stupid like trip kings. This is another easy fold. You don't have any FE to get the Big Stack BB to fold and K8o is not a good hand multiplayer.

Besides, this is a satellite. You only need 1 chip and to place 39th to get the TEC. You will have the button next and can probably fold/stall your way into the "money". You need to evaluate the number of players remaining vs. the stacks of the other shorties and their position. I know that folding this meand you have 1.5 BB but that is all you need if you can out surveive the other shorties. This is how you play satellites.

My two cents, Steve
Old 04-13-2005, 01:48 PM

You did the right thing in both spots. Turbos don't reward you for good folds, though.

Don't waste your money on turbo tournys, especially the MTTs. You need tons of luck and patience to make a final table in the normal 15 min formats. Turbos you need to forget about patience in order to keep up with the blinds.

Play the $3R to the Sunday tourny instead. The overlay is always great, it pays down to 4-5% on average. Then cash out and use the T$ for whatever satellite you want.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:58 PM

with the blinds going up every five minutes a 6000 stack gets eaten up very fast at 1000/2000, 1500/3000 blind levels and people literally going all in almost every hand. So these "marginal hands" have to be played eventually or you are gone.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:58 PM

thanks, sound advice. appreciate it.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
with the blinds going up every five minutes a 6000 stack gets eaten up very fast at 1000/2000, 1500/3000 blind levels and people literally going all in almost every hand. So these "marginal hands" have to be played eventually or you are gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why are you asking for advice?

And if people are going all-in everyhand, you should sit tight and wait for them to bust while you sit back and coast.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:54 PM

He can't coast when he has 5BB (hand 1) or 2BB (hand 2) in a turbo.

Push all-in on hand one! At that point you had 5BB and will soon be 3.5BB after the blinds come around. A8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] isn't a great hand, but concidering the turbo format and your stack, I think you have to gambool here.

Pulp

P.S. One reason people are not responding to you is your pissy attitude. I have only been a member for a few months and have gotten pleanty of informative responses. There were some hands that were somewhat ignored, but that was do to how standard and boring they were.

Your post on people ignoring the newbies is retarded.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:14 PM

Another reason for the lack of responses is at this point in a turbo with how shortstacked you are, just pick a hand where you think you have 2 live cards and go, if you get the blinds great, if not, then hope to win the race, there isn't much strategy this late and this shortstacked in a turbo.
~Justin
Old 04-13-2005, 04:45 PM

well, Pulp, I respectfully disagree that newbies do not get overlooked here, and also, I never said that there was no good information out there.

A I have never played a turbo before I just was curious how low of hands do people start pushing with ie AXs Kxs and so on.

THis is a new format for me and I wanted to hear from experienced people that have played them with some success.

as always I appreciate people taking hte time to say anything, even to say well, you are an idiot, just push or whatever.