Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 02:16 AM

Default LAG hand from live tourney

Ok technically this hand was from an MTT but it was only 22 runners and more people know me here and I'm not getting any responses over there. So, x-post.

--------------------------------

So I didn't do all that well in my week in Vegas. Because of the cooler (CONSTANT second best hands, it was brutal) I was going to take last night and tonight off from poker (I'm here on business anyway so it's not like my days are a total waste). But then tonight I really feel like playing poker all of a sudden but I don't feel like going to the strip since I fly out tomorrow morning so I go down to play in a really crappily structured tournament they have at my hotel.

So, structure: $40 buyin, everyone starts with t1000, 25/50 blinds, double every 20 minutes. Today there are 20 runners (entrants) with 2 alternates, and the top 3 spots pay. I decided that the only way to play in a tournament like this is LAG and hope you hit and that people fold (and obviously pick your spots). So with that in mind:

First hand.

Hero is CO-1 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
5 folds, Hero raises t150, 1 fold, Button calls t150, 2 folds.

<font color="red">Button is a fairly large black guy who seems very softspoken but could easily kick the crap out of me with out even trying. And I'm 6'2", 200 lbs. He has a rack of $1s in front of him, he just got up from the $4/$8 limit game that I wasn't playing in.</font>

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. (t375)
Hero bets t200, Button calls t200.

<font color="red">He seems quite calm and impassive. Hard to get anything off him really.</font>

Turn: (Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t775)

Plan?
Old 08-25-2005, 02:21 AM

Default Re: LAG hand from live tourney

[ QUOTE ]
I decided that the only way to play in a tournament like this is LAG and hope you hit and that people fold (and obviously pick your spots).

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your reasoning behind this? I would have folded this trash immediately.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I decided that the only way to play in a tournament like this is LAG and hope you hit and that people fold (and obviously pick your spots).

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your reasoning behind this? I would have folded this trash immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]

I get maybe two orbits before I have 10x, and 2 more before I have 5x? Have you played live? 20 minute levels?

Plus I don't want to have a good image, because I *need* my good hands to get action.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:17 AM

Only choice here is check-fold.
He's called a t200 bet with a K flopping, so he doesn't think you've got a K ... if he's any good he's put you on a mid to high pp, he's got you beaten and he's playing for value knowing you're throwing in the chips.
Its a very expensive way to get a table image.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:24 AM

Keep betting chipleader!

hmmmmm. The way I see it he has a pocket pair about 50% of the time, a king 35% of the time and something I can't guess for the rest. I'd say keep betting to take him off his pockets - 300-500 on the turn. If he calls this you are in too deep of course...
Old 08-25-2005, 05:25 AM

the turn Queen is great of course...
Old 08-25-2005, 10:21 AM

Default Part 2

[ QUOTE ]
Only choice here is check-fold.
He's called a t200 bet with a K flopping, so he doesn't think you've got a K ... if he's any good he's put you on a mid to high pp, he's got you beaten and he's playing for value knowing you're throwing in the chips.
Its a very expensive way to get a table image.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's basically what I thought at the time. I didn't decide to check-fold as much as check-reevaluate and most likely fold if he bet.

So I checked and he bet 150. Hero?
Old 08-25-2005, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I get maybe two orbits before I have 10x, and 2 more before I have 5x? Have you played live? 20 minute levels?

Plus I don't want to have a good image, because I *need* my good hands to get action.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree... you want them to think you are [censored] rock. Tighty mctight. Then when the blinds are worth stealing you raise and they get out of your way.

If they see your 4-6, your raises will not get respect for the rest of the tournament. "Are you making another play with 4-6?"
Old 08-25-2005, 11:09 AM

I don't see how I'm going to turn 1000 chips into 22000 by stealing blinds. I'm going to have to get to showdown and I'm going to have to get action on my big hands.

Would you believe that for the entire tournament I always had at least 1 caller on every single big pair and big ace that I got?
Old 08-25-2005, 11:18 AM

Well you are still gonna need to hit some flops.

I don't think raising 4-6 there can be optimal.

Anyway. I have a question about live play. WHen you are on the bubble, chip stacks are very important.

How often do you need to ask someone for a count, or do you just ballpark it?