Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2004, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Pet Peeves

If they don't move, lower your shoulder. I don't have this problem they move for me. If I remember your picture correctly, Lowering your shoulder won't help. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2004, 12:16 PM

Only one Pet Peeve: God.

-Zeno
Old 11-28-2004, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, also on escalators. When you're going up an escalator and there are people in front of you, and you want to walk up rather than just stand there and let it carry you up, but you can't because they're standing there. They should stay to one side so that people can walk by. I know that this is kind of an unwritten rule on the DC metro (where the escalators are literally HUNDREDS of feet long), but it should apply everywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

It may be an unwritten rule, but no one informs the tourists and weekends can be a huge pain in the ass as a result. I was out yesterday and had to deal with this at least 5 times. There was an Amish convention or something in town and people in funny hats were absolutely everywhere.

I over reacted the last time as I heard the train pulling in.

"God damn it Ephraim! MOVE!"
Old 11-28-2004, 01:47 PM

Escalators is Germany often have signs, "Links gehen, rechts stehen", meaning go on the left, stand on the right.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate when a group of people walking in the opposite direction will not temporarily collapse.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's best to just stop and stand your ground, rather than barreling through them like somebody else suggested. If you're the polite/shy type (which it sounds like you are) stay to the right of the sidewalk, and when they get about six feet in front of you just stop and start fumbling around in your pocket like you're looking for something. Look at the ground too with a preoccupied look on your face (Where in the ***k did I put those certs?). They'll go around you for sure,...they'll have to.

My pet peeve: Talkers and loud eaters at the theater.

-dsm
Old 11-28-2004, 02:22 PM

Girls that won't have sex with me, like Annie Duke. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2004, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The sober female friend of a drunk girl. The drunk one wants to party, have an orgy, do all kinds of outlandish things...you could be just getting ready to leave the bar with her...all 5 of you...and then some b!tch comes up and says..."Come on Shellie, I'm taking you home. I promised so-and-so that you'd get home safely"

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a good one.

Here are some of mine.

8 inches of pencil and a quarter inch of eraser.

People who leave the faucet dripping. What's so hard about just shutting the darn thing off all the way? You're already right there in the room -- you're touching the darn thing already!

People who leave empty milk cartons in the fridge, or that last 100th of an inch because they don't want to make it look like they took the last of it.

People who when you buy a pizza, eat as fast as they can so they can eat twice as many slices as anyone else while still paying the same cost when you split the bill.

People who try to short the bill at a restaurant.

People who decide the top or bottom of the escalator is the perfect place to take stock of the planet, consider their options, light up a smoke, make a call on their cell phone, and just generally show the world how into themselves they are and how the rest of us can kiss their ass.

The poker table equivalent -- the guy who holds the whole table hostage by waiting till the action is on him to start telling a story. In a home game, a variation of this is picking that time to run to get a beer or some cookies or whatever.

People who walk into any place and think everyone owes them attention. This is often done by street bums and racists(often the same people), who think that if you haven't noticed them and instantly made them an intimate and welcome part of your life, you're "disrespecting" them or somehow owe them an apology for living. An example: I remember reading the newspaper on my long subway ride home one day and some kid saying loudly to me, "Hey, don't be down because I'm brown." I didn't know when he got on the subway car, and can't say I cared -- I hadn't made eye contact with anyone for probably 15 minutes or more -- but apparently our relationship was a lot more important and symbolic to him than it was to me. I didn't even know we had one; in my ignorance I had thought I was just reading a newspaper, not engaging in an aggressive and unspoken dialogue with someone who deserved much better from me. How foolish of me!

Old ladies who think they're entitled to stab you with the ends of their umbrellas, step on your feet, ram their shopping carts into you or whatever, without ever apologizing. This behavior is exclusive to old ladies; I have absolutely never seen an old man do it, but have seen decades of this pointless and angry aggression from old ladies.

Store clerks who treat you like gold when you wear a nice crisp shirt and like crap when you wear a t-shirt.

Dirty dishes, especially dirty silverware. Ever see a piece of rice or something stuck on a fork and ask for a fresh one? I expect better from a restaurant. Worse is when it's at someone's house, though. I don't want to embarass the host, but really get grossed out by dirty silverware and don't want to eat off it. Ever have the host come back with ANOTHER dirty fork? NOW what do you do? (sigh) It REALLY detracts from the meal for me. It's not quite as bad, but I don't like getting a supposedly clean wine glass that has lipstick on it either. Many people just have no standards when it comes to cleanliness. Washing a dish clean really isn't hard, and it seems the least you can do for a guest is offer them clean dishes if you're going to feed them.

Hmm..what else...people who let their kids scream in restaurants. Or anywhere else, really, but restaurants are the worst. That's supposed to be normal and a sign of good parenting, so I guess I'm a terrible person who knows nothing.

People who let their dogs poop on your lawn.

People who allow vicious behavior in their dogs or train them for it, especially when they let those dogs out.

Salesmen of any type coming up to your table in restaurants. You can get guys coming up who want to take a picture of you with your date, then a guy wants you to buy roses, then the first guy comes by to see if you've changed your mind about the pictures, then a guy comes up wanting to sell you cigars -- Jesus Christ! Talk about being intrusive and destroying the experience. Restaurant owners who put up with this crap should be shot.

Oh, and my three rules for bums and real or imagined "charities" -- I will NOT give money for any reason in three places -- when I'm on the toilet, when I'm in traffic, and when I'm eating. These are sacred activities, and it's either extremely inconsiderate or outright dangerous to be begging for money at those points.

Ok that's enough for now.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Yet another

[ QUOTE ]
If that chick really wanted to go with you, she wouldn't have let her friend drag her away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true necessarily, at all. Not very fair, either.

Most people are VERY different when alone and when with their friends or different combinations of friends. Each of us is a different person to different people, who have different expectations and understanding of us. Sometimes that's less or more under our control. Each new friend, family member, or stranger added to a group can change our responses and personality as the tone of the group changes and the individuals adjust.

I find women are especially that way. They can be very protective and intrusive with each other in a way men are not, and they can also be very cruel and spiteful to each other and extremely judgmental and jealous, not least about men.

The last thing the average woman is, is completely the same around friends and not, and when woried about their judgment, especially when it comes to sex. I'd be amazed if anyone has not been in situations where women who have been open or even assertive on their own have been seen to have a personality change or seem to shut down when their friends and/or family, or even another woman they don't really give a damn about, appears. The power of judgment and the need to fit into expected societal norms, even anticipated or merely feared judgment, by others is huge. All the more so for women.

That's one reason women often enjoy and need the "excuse" of being drunk before hooking up with men. They are constantly worried about what other people think and even what they think about themselves, whereas guys not only don't worry nearly as much, but wouldn't give a damn if they even thought about it.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Yet another

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
If that chick really wanted to go with you, she wouldn't have let her friend drag her away.

Well that's not true. Drunk girls are completely powerless to their bitchy friends. Believe me. I'm dating one of the bitchy friends. We were out a while ago with some of her friends and this one girlfriend of hers got trashed and was all over some guy. My girlfriend starts going into the whole "we need to get you home" thing and I was like "hey, let her have her fun. She's a slut anyway, you know she'd do it if she were sober." So I get a death glare, no pussy for like a week, and some poor bastard got cockblocked.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're my hero, man, seriously. That took stones to do. Most guys I know are completely pussy-whipped.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
--The guy in the poker room who thinks that the tv closest to him is HIS tv, and should be set to a channel of his choosing. Go ahead and try to change it, and watch this guy. He'll jump up and scream as if you had just burst into his living room and commandeered HIS tv.

[/ QUOTE ]

First come, first served, man. There are exceptions, like when EVERYONE wants to watch something else, but by and large I think you missed on this one. Nobody who says anything like that would ever admit to what I'm about to say, but the truth is, if the situation were reversed, you wouldn't like some dude waltzing in and changing the channel while you were already watching something(and who knows how many others were too). You'd think that was some amazingly egotistical SOB.

That would be like someone walking over and sitting in your lap because he figured it was his chair now, since after all, he wanted it.