Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 04:34 PM

Default What to do with JT on the bubble?

This is a hand that I am very unsure about what to do with, especially on the bubble, 4-5 players. A good example is this hand:

#Game No : 3002631959
***** Hand History for Game 3002631959 *****
NL Texas Hold'em $20 Buy-in + $2 Entry Fee Trny:17239687 Level:7 Blinds(150/300) - Tuesday, November 08, 12:56:42 EDT 2005
Table Table 66779 (Real Money)
Seat 7 is the button
Total number of players : 4
Seat 3: HERO( $2250 )
Seat 8: golfslice ( $1655 )
Seat 7: KILO_AOA ( $1560 )
Seat 2: oddsmaker119 ( $2535 )
Trny:17239687 Level:7
Blinds(150/300)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to HERO[ Jh Td ]

Hero?? Its a 22.

How would play JT here? Would you play JT here? Its a hand that can make a lot of draws, but I'm most likely behind, and I odn't know if its a hand that I would want to push. I was UTG here, but the same question applies for the button. SB, I thik I would push it, but even that seems a bit risky with this hand. I'm curious to other thoughts on this.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Re: What to do with JT on the bubble?

Having had some experience at this level, I say no you should wait for a better hand because you have 3 people yet to play and they could have a monster. This is how I play it.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Having had some experience at this level, I say no you should wait for a better hand because you have 3 people yet to play and they could have a monster. This is how I play it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, here's how I would edit your post to make it so that people won't think you're a prig:

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should wait for a better hand to play in this spot, because there are 3 people behind you and they could have a monster. So I fold here.

[/ QUOTE ]

there's a huge difference.

c
Old 11-08-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I finally got to use the "ignore player" function. Cool. Thank you.

As for OP's question, it totally depends on the situation. It's not like there's some magical formula for when to push JT as opposed to the many other hands you could have.

In the example you gave, it's marginal, I might push or fold based on my reads.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:49 PM

English is not my first language so I try to get meaning across. Did you agree with my meaning? I am trying hard.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I finally got to use the "ignore player" function. Cool. Thank you.

As for OP's question, it totally depends on the situation. It's not like there's some magical formula for when to push JT as opposed to the many other hands you could have.

In the example you gave, it's marginal, I might push or fold based on my reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. I'd probably fold unless the table was playing really tight for some reason.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
English is not my first language so I try to get meaning across. Did you agree with my meaning? I am trying hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know immediately if i agree with your advice on the actual hand.

i'm not trying to be a horrible person here, i'm trying to make it so that you make posts that other people won't hate you for, which are helpful, and which will inspire others to respond insightfully as well.

c
Old 11-08-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know immediately if i agree with your advice on the actual hand.

i'm not trying to be a horrible person here, i'm trying to make it so that you make posts that other people won't hate you for, which are helpful, and which will inspire others to respond insightfully as well.

c

[/ QUOTE ]

good advice c. to IPlayG00t, you're starting to aggravate me a little, but I know you're trying, dude. Good luck and have fun at these forums.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:03 PM

I am grateful for help and people must understand poker is not just played in America. People like pineapple888 may be very prejudised because I don't speak English well, but it is their problem.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:05 PM

First off, in my book, JTo is usually an easy push from the SB, per the later sentence in your post.

JTs or 89s are some of my favorite hands to push UTG in to four people on the bubble, assuming the table is weak/tight on the bubble. Really depends on your standards and style. In my opinion there's not a lot of difference between 66/77 and maybe even 88, compared to JT in terms of preflop equity against a weak/tight calling range. You're slightly better than an underpair against an overpair, and you're 41-59 against two overcards.

JTo is slightly worse than JTs, obviously. Given that you're not one of the smallest stacks I'll usually fold here but if I was one of the smaller stacks its not a horrible push imo.

Would you push sixes or sevens in to three people on the bubble UTG?