Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2004, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Easiest sit and gos on Poker Stars

Excellent post Vinny. I play there sometimes too although I have moved up to the 22 and 33's lately. Maybe the gentleman (?) would like to join us on our next 2+2 venture. Most of us are low to middle limit players with Cris thrown in for fun [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] That way he would be able to judge just how he would do at that limit.

To the orginal poster. One thing to understand. The limit that a particular player plays does not truly indicate his or her ability. There are many factors that influence level selection. My suggestion to you would be to set aside a 10 buy in bankroll for the $33 SNG's at Stars. Play until that bankroll is gone. If it is gone, go back to $10's and wait. If the money doesn't go away and particularly if it increases, stay there. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2004, 04:27 PM

set aside a 10 buy in bankroll

I think that's a bit short. 15 sounds better.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Don\'t anger the \'poker gods\'

Brad I have to agree with Kurn, the attitude is what most people don;t like. I pretty much play $5-$10 tourneys and I definetly don't think I suck, thats just where I can reasonably afford to play. also his insinuation that he only loses because of bad beats and bull [censored] calls is a ridiculous statement. Most people lose at times because of this, but you don't really cry about it though. That is what people do in the lower limit tourneys.

BTW Brad, why not try posting more often. I have done my share of posts and I have noticed for the most part people reply with insightful comments when a question is asked, regardless of how ridiculous it is. I think the only way you will experience rudeness is if you come off sounding arrogant and conceited.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:13 PM

Hiya Stagemusic,

[ QUOTE ]
The limit that a particular player plays does not truly indicate his or her ability. There are many factors that influence level selection.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed 100%. If you look at poker as a second job, then it makes sense to play at the level that gives you the highest hourly return. As I said in another post, that's as much a matter of playing style as skill level. If you play poker for fun -- and there is NOTHING wrong with that! -- then it makes sense to play at a level you enjoy and can afford ... whatever that may be.

Cris
Old 01-27-2004, 11:38 PM

Default Dear Mr. wannabe,

Dear Mr. wannabe,

I know where there is a real nice friendly evening poker game where you could come

demonstrate some of these fine skills you describe.

You could meet our Klingon, see what Brown can do for you, (it's kind of like getting run

over by a Diesel truck), meet Al Capone (Jr), get to play with a real ElSapo, a ghettorat,

and one that claims to be lucky because he's the 7thSon.

You could meet BugsBunny, the DarkKnight, a Grinning Budda, a real card playing Praying

Mantis, and our own Jedi (he promises not to use the power while playing poker).

You could try some SKOAL while visiting Bozeman, and probably not get arrested by the fat

sherriff. There's one player you could help us with, we don't know who he is but he's not Mitch. And I've only seen him Bluff1 nce in a while.

We even have a player that CLAIMS to be a fish, and one from Napa that's a wino.

If you get in over your head, we even have a haven for you. But it's really an easy game,

after all Boris plays way abv par and only gets aces over 8s once in a while.

If you'd like to join our little game, see my post on this forum: "2+2 SNG $10+1 NLHE on

STARS 9:30PM EST (Wednesday Jan 28)"

We'd be glad to halve you.

Doc

My apologies to william, thomastem, and heyrocker: I didn't want to scare him.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:42 AM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob

[ QUOTE ]
the $30 SnG after dinner time seemed pretty easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I have often wondered about my bad results in those ones. Probably because the belly is full, I keep dosing away, sleep for 2 or 3 rounds every here and there and that annoying bip keeps disturbing my after-dinner nap. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Nice nick btw, even though Wannabe is quite a common (and secret) name in this forum [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Keep up the good work, and keep struggling for those 72$(61 profit) while you wait for the golden after-dinner tourney [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2004, 09:12 AM

15 would give him a longer learning curve for sure.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:30 AM

Hi Cris,

Good pockets to you.

[ QUOTE ]
If you look at poker as a second job, then it makes sense to play at the level that gives you the highest hourly return. As I said in another post, that's as much a matter of playing style as skill level. If you play poker for fun -- and there is NOTHING wrong with that! -- then it makes sense to play at a level you enjoy and can afford ... whatever that may be.

[/ QUOTE ]

For most of us, Poker will NEVER be anything but a hobby. A very lucrative hobby indeed but still, just a hobby. 99.9% of the people that play poker are break even or overall losing players (for our more literal posters...don't quote me on the %, it was just an illustration) who like to play for a chance to stick their hand 6" or so up the Golden Gooses *** and grab an egg or two. It took me 6 months and MANY (mostly small) deposits to make my first cash out of any site. Luckily, I have a good job and could afford to play by making a deposit or two a month. Well, I just consider that my tuition, sort of like starting a new hobby like golf. You have to buy the equipment and pay the green fees to really learn the game. Well, wonder upon wonders, I DID improve. I haven't made a deposit in a few months and have cashed out numerous times since then. Now Poker is more than a game that I love to play. It has become a source for a decent secondary income. I still love to play thank God. I think that if it became a job I would miss the fun.

I guess the point of all this rambling is that we all play poker for different, although mostly similar, reasons. Fun, excitement, the rush, money, ego, whatever motivates us. These same reasons exist on every table from a .50/1 to a 100/200 game. The differences are only in the degree.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2004, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Dear Mr. wannabe,

Very funny post, Doc...made my morning.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Dear Mr. wannabe,

sigh. No respect. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]