Default I thought Michael Moore was against Guns

Just not when it is for his benefit.

Michael Moore's Bodyguard Arrested on Airport Gun Charge
Old 01-20-2005, 09:29 AM

Default Re: I thought Michael Moore was against Guns

[ QUOTE ]
I thought Michael Moore was against Guns

[/ QUOTE ]

Michael Moore made the point several times in Bowling for Columbine that he isn't against guns. He stated that he even likes to shoot them.

Maybe you just weren't paying attention.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:33 AM

What exactly was the message of that movie then?
Old 01-20-2005, 09:40 AM

The message of the movie was to question why America has more gun violence than other similarly situated countries. Moore first sought to debunk the idea that the reason we have more gun violence is because of racial differences in this country. He pointed to countries with similar demographics and showed dissimilar gun violence statistics. Ultimately, Moore came to the conclusion that the very root issue might be fear and, he posits, that American's have more of it. Moore suggests that our irrational fears lead us to irrational actions with violence --- firearms in particular.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:19 AM

Michael Moore grew up with guns. Michael Moore went hunting as a child. Michael Moore likes guns. Michael Moore likes to shoot guns.

So whatever Kool-Aid Vendor told you "Michael Moore. Liberal. Doesn't like Guns." was lying. I wonder what else they lie to you about and you swallow?

The point of Columbine movie was that Americans live in fear that other countries don't seem to have. Why, an innocent person could knock on the wrong house door in the middle of the night, and instead of someone saying, "who's there? What do you want?", they risk getting blown away by some fearful home owner.

And the present Administration is doing a good job of keeping the fear factor pumped up. Terrorists hiding under every bed. Pretty soon people will be shooting each other, because you never know, they might be terrorists.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:57 AM

Yep. Michael Moore is a lifetime NRA member. The most interesting comparison was with Canada, which is racially diverse, and where many people have guns, but gun crime is extremely rare.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The message of the movie was to question why America has more gun violence than other similarly situated countries. Moore first sought to debunk the idea that the reason we have more gun violence is because of racial differences in this country. He pointed to countries with similar demographics and showed dissimilar gun violence statistics. Ultimately, Moore came to the conclusion that the very root issue might be fear and, he posits, that American's have more of it. Moore suggests that our irrational fears lead us to irrational actions with violence --- firearms in particular.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, he goes through all that effort to show that the mere existence of guns is not why we have gun violence.... and then he grandstands and bullies KMart into eliminating it's ammo sales.

Why?

natedogg
Old 01-20-2005, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yep, he goes through all that effort to show that the mere existence of guns is not why we have gun violence.... and then he grandstands and bullies KMart into eliminating it's ammo sales.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would suspect Moore would respond with something like:
While solving the broader problem of irrational fear is terribly difficult and not something that can be done in the short term, limiting availability to firearms (or in the kmart case, limiting access to ammunition) can, arguably, provide some short-term relief.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:36 PM

In all fairness, it was hard to pay attention when you are so stunned by his flagrant disrespect for facts.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In all fairness, it was hard to pay attention when you are so stunned by his flagrant disrespect for facts.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine - but if you don't pay attention, don't comment on the details to which you admittedly didn't pay attention. If I didn't pay attention, I wouldn't be making comments about the movie other than to say I didn't pay attention because it was full of lies, lies, lies.

Making statements about the content of a movie which one hasn't paid attention to is kind of silly, don't you think?

Maybe GWB should have said "I haven't seen, or didn't pay attention to Bowling for Columbine, but I would assume Michael Moore is really against guns (based on what other people have told me who did pay attention --- or at least they told me they paid attention.) Don't you find it ironic that his bodyguard had a gun?"