Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 12:49 PM

Default 1st Hand of 50+5

No notes on any of the players.

MP raises to 95. Called by the next two players to act. Folded to me in the SB with AKs.

What do you do, and why?

Nick
Old 07-13-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: 1st Hand of 50+5

is this a party game?
Old 07-13-2005, 12:53 PM

Yes.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:08 PM

The downside to re-raising is that you are out of position. I think calling and seeing what the flop brings is not horrible.

I can even see folding as an option if you want to focus on stack preservation early on.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The downside to re-raising is that you are out of position. I think calling and seeing what the flop brings is not horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

if i were to raise here, i'd push. so out of position isn't really that bad.
i don't think that calling could be all that bad. but i also don't know the average 55s player very well right now. something tells me that given the avg player, pushing is going to be more right than calling and playing post flop.

citanul
Old 07-13-2005, 01:14 PM

Usually I'm calling, figuring that when I hit on the flop I'll likely be able to get a c/r in and I'll be able to exit pretty cheaply when I whiff. However, since it's the first hand, there's an increased chance that a PF push can get called by dominated hands here, so pushing is not without its merits as well. I'm not feeling inclined to work out which is better given some reasonable assumptions at the moment, though.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:19 PM

Were it not for the limpers I would raise to between 250 and 300 with the intention of getting all in pre flop or playing post flop otherwise. As is I think just pushing is best here. Raising to 500 is an option since you get to act first on the flop and can stop and go, but I'd just as soon get the betting done with right now. I don't like letting something like JJ off the hook if I hit my hand, and I really don't like letting a hand like 88 make a good call when an A or K does not hit. Follow the cow, right to the next S&G if need be.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:21 PM

a little suprised this is a $55. sounds more like a 10 to me. what are these people calling with? my guess is low to med pocket pairs. with that much preflp action, i think calling is out of the question. so you flop a king or an ace... and someone pushes, then what? good chance you're beat. i like pushing or folding and leaning towards pushing... and being called by kings, jacks, and a donk with 67 sooted (who scoops the pot hitting the river straight).
Old 07-13-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if i were to raise here, i'd push. so out of position isn't really that bad.
i don't think that calling could be all that bad. but i also don't know the average 55s player very well right now. something tells me that given the avg player, pushing is going to be more right than calling and playing post flop.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Duh, I forgot calling was an option! Calling has a lot of merit, and now I don't know if I like that more than pushing or not.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:25 PM

There's between 2 and 5 times your stack in the pot.

Push.