Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2004, 09:12 PM

Default Question about the movie \'Rounders\'

Sorry if this has been asked before.....

At the end scene, after Mike beats Teddy KGB, Grandma is visibly upset. He takes a chair and flips it upsidedown in anger. Why is he so mad? The way I understood it, was that he was still getting his $15,000, its just that Teddy had just lost a bunch of money. But Grandma didn't lose any money did he? He was still to get his money, which he was getting a great percentage of('I got a really sweet deal. Theres not a lot of faith in you', he said to Worm earlier). Moreover, Grandma kinda liked Mike, so he wouldn't really be any more loyal to KGB than to Mike. So why was he so upset?

Sorry if I'm overanalyzing things, but I've seen it a ton of times, so I'm starting to notice all the little things.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Question about the movie \'Rounders\'

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry if this has been asked before.....

At the end scene, after Mike beats Teddy KGB, Grandma is visibly upset. He takes a chair and flips it upsidedown in anger. Why is he so mad? The way I understood it, was that he was still getting his $15,000, its just that Teddy had just lost a bunch of money. But Grandma didn't lose any money did he? He was still to get his money, which he was getting a great percentage of('I got a really sweet deal. Theres not a lot of faith in you', he said to Worm earlier). Moreover, Grandma kinda liked Mike, so he wouldn't really be any more loyal to KGB than to Mike. So why was he so upset?

Sorry if I'm overanalyzing things, but I've seen it a ton of times, so I'm starting to notice all the little things.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your point, but I think Grandma getting upset just ads to the good vs. evil them prevalent in movies...that's all.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:30 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

if he had remained expressionless or actually appeared happy, he would not be a very good "employee"
Old 06-10-2004, 09:47 PM

He was looking forward to breaking mike's legs if he couldn't pay.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:55 PM

Location: Pittsburgh Pa (North Suburb called Cranberry Township)

He knew that Teddy was very irritated and therefore not going to be especially "gentle" with him later that evening
Old 06-10-2004, 10:07 PM

They might have edited out a scene or two that provided some context for that blow-up. But if not, you're right - his final moments were fairly inconsistent with his character up to that point.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:52 AM

As a Rounderite PhD, I suspect it is that, as Worm said, KGB had plenty of hired goons. This kind of connection to helping KGB get what he wanted (whatever it was he wanted with Mike) was Grandma's ticket to getting in good with KGB and the Russian Mafia (by doing so he becomes a "made man" or whatever). The goal was never to get the money; it was to get Mike.

Once this fails, and KGB is so angry, Grandma also knows his chance of getting in good and moving from being a pimp/two bit thug to a mafia tough guy are over as well.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:01 AM

But the real question is: What did Teddy KGB have???

~D
Old 06-11-2004, 02:01 AM

Default You\'re all wrong

what KGB and Gramma really wanted was to "own" Mike - they would make him play on their money, taking a huge cut of the winnings (plus the interest on the money he owed), causing him to create a huge profit for them.

It's all about the money - longer term, taking a cut of his money plus interest, makes WAAAAYYY more money than just getting $15k, and it makes a lot more than hurting/killing him and getting $0.

with organized crime, it's all about the money. If anyone else tells you different (unless you kill someone close to them), they're wrong.

Bill
Old 06-11-2004, 07:27 AM

Default Re: You\'re all wrong

with organized crime its not about the money.

Its about the Hats.