Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2005, 09:02 PM

Default Re: why sirius wont make it

[ QUOTE ]

This company is here to stay.

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife loves the Sirius I got her for xmas. And I think you got it half right. Sirius will be around for a while, but the Sirius shares will not. Their cash burn makes bankruptcy a high likelyhood. They'll eventually be merged into XM, but the shares will be worthless.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:21 PM

very good desertcat that how i see it somewhat. this comapny cannot be worth ten billion or whatever it is valued at now. so when you buy or own shares of it, you have your diluted share of that ficitious value.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:11 AM

Long-term projected future earnings has to be driving this share price.

Anyway, I tend to agree that this stock is overvalued, but you never know. They offer a great product, and with more car manufactures offering it as an added option it could be around for a while.

Burning cash is typical of a developing company. They still have 1/2 billion in cash on the books and huge gains in revenue. If they can turn a profit, they can make it.

I don't see XM buying them, but even if they or someone else did, it will be @ above market value.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:10 PM

Default other comments and random thoughts

We know that satellite radio has a good grasp in commuting and cars. How about the home? College kids? Educational networks in high schools? Satellite radio has much more potential then a travel to work. I know growing up we did not watch to much TV in the morning...the radio was on.

Other comments about Ipod and listening to music makes Ipods convenient. But for some reason watching Seinfeld on TV seems a little more interesting then buying the DVDs. That is what radio gives you...randomness, the thrill of catching the song you want and the personalities that talk to you.

Relative that works for onstar, talked about how satellite radio does traffic for specific areas through GPS with onstar. Just thought it was interesting.

All in all, I think satellite radio has much more uses then the commute to work.

Reply with some thoughts!
Old 01-26-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Re: other comments and random thoughts

All I use it for now is my commute, but you have a good point. My father is an avid sailor and has been talking about buying one for the boat. Some of his friends already have.

Sirius would be good for traveling long distances where you can't get stations or they go in and out. So it would be good for boaters and truckers. Also anyone living in the sticks were they only get 4 stations, and they're all Jesus rock [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I haven't hooked Sirius up to my home system yet, but I probably will soon.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:35 AM

Just an FYI, Sirius has a market cap of 8 billion dollars.
Oh yeah, and they lose a ton of money every year. Anyone want to calculate their break even point number of subscribers. Find that number and you'll follow my lead on a short of the stock. Dont get me wrong, its a good product, just rediculously overpriced.

cracker69
Old 01-28-2005, 06:41 AM

Default Looks Like Number of Shares has more than Doubled Since 2001

Something like 53,000,000 in 2001 to 113,000,000 in 2004. They're authorized to issue 250,000,000. I just made a cursory glance of the 10-Q. Looks like they're going back to the markets to raise more money by selling shares periodically which means that your piece of the company is being diluted on an ongoing basis. Sirius might have a great product and they might well grow into some real earnings but I can't see a lot of upside at this juncture. Just because a company has good products and a good future doesn't make the price of their stock a good value.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:56 AM

It's also a cult stock, highly charged with the primitive emotions of the crowd.

The day-trading wing of the current set of shareholders make this stock very volatile.

I strongly suspect that any hiccups whatsoever along the way regarding Howard Stern migrating to SIRI would be extremely negative for this stock.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:50 PM

up to 10,000 songs. now car stereo makers are making their radios with an i pod plugin. so why on earth would anyone want to pay 12 bucks a month for music when in minutes you can download from your computer all your cds into the i pod.

Hi Ray,

Now, you know I jumped on the stock and dumped it. Granted it may be doomed but I don't like your thinking here. Are you going to listen to the same 10k songs the rest of your life?

Sirius Satellite Radio has opened up my Musical range. I have found so many new artist I've never heard about or would have never heard about via terrestrial raido. This is the main reasons I have the product.

Go Pats!
Joe Tall
Old 01-31-2005, 07:20 PM

Default Re: WHATEVER-why sirius wont make it

do what you want, but if you guys want to get in on more stocks before they run, join our group pick. The next group buy i scheduled 02/07/2005:

http://www.freeibforums.com/forums/i...mp;showforum=2

If you dont like the group's pick you dont have to buy it. But you have to break your order into parts in order to get in early. The price usually raises quickly..